Igloo Marine vs. Coleman Marine? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-29-2011   #1

Spokane, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Igloo Marine vs. Coleman Marine?

Hey guys, need some advice. Im looking for a good inexpensive cooler, dont have the cash to drop on an Engle or Yeti. I currently have an Igloo Marine 56 but need something larger for multiday summer trips. Im looking at the larger Igloo Marine and Coleman Marine coolers, what has been your experience? Im limited to a 40 inch length or less cooler to fit my frame, thanks.

riverjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2011   #2

Jenks, Oklahoma
If you have a big box warehouse type store IE Sam's, Cosco BJ, Academy Sports check them out.

I see the 80 to 120 qt size of rubbermaid / igloo all the time at our local Sam's Club and Academy Sports at very reasonable prices. Will work pretty good for a few days as is. I have glued closed cell foam (cheap alternative is the foam camp pads at WalMart) to the top of mine and got a couple more days out of block ice.

For the price they work pretty good. A lot depends on how you pack the cooler, type of ice you use and how many times you open the lid. I also recommend a terry cloth towel on top of the cooler that is wet down every few hours - this will help a bit especially when the hot sun is beating directly down on the cooler.

The Yeti, Canyon Coolers, Engel brands hold ice a bit longer and much better construction but for short length river trips the rubbermaid/coleman units can work pretty good if you manage it well.
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #3

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 03
I have the igloo marine 128. It holds ice pretty good if you play it as stated above. I payed $200 from Sports Authority. I think it goes for around $275 on NRS.
I am not real impressed with the hinges and latches. They are both made of thin plastic. Seems more suited to a $50 cooler. No problems yet though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2011   #4

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I found my 94 Qt. Marine Igloo at West Marine here in Salt Lake City. It has metal hinges, latches, and wire lid supports inside instead of all plastic. I think it was a special version made for West Marine Supply. It's a little more sturdy than the regular model, but no where near the quality of the Engel/Yeti coolers. My problem is a narrow Cat frame (NRS 66 in.) which limits the size of cooler I can carry. I would have to step down a bit in size with an Engel or Yeti and lose carrying capacity. I agree with the above statements about cooler management being more important with this cooler. Managing ice on 7-8 day trips is a challenge.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #5

Jenks, Oklahoma
Hinges and top closure mechanisms are usually the weak points on most coolers. Cam straps around the cooler will help keep it closed. I understand some cooler manufacturers went to a easy to open front lock to make it easier to open the lid from the inside if a child were to play inside the cooler and get trapped - which makes for a safer latching unit but most of the time either breaks or does not lock very well.

The hi dollar units some have a molded in plastic hinge across the back which is my favorite. Other hi dollar units have stainless steel hinges which normally work pretty good. Most of the hi dollar units also have a much better rubber/plastic sealing gasket around the top lid which makes for a much better seal.

I cannot vouch that this is true or not. I have seen posts to the point that some of the big box cheap Igloo units were not built the same as the igloo units sold by places like NRS. Not sure if this is true or not but it makes me wonder why NRS igloo units are much higher.
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #6

Basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
One thing that i have found out on cheaper coolers - is the lack of a drip edge on the
cooler .
[ they have a flat surface around the rim - instead of a step up towards the inside of the cooler]
This allowes rain water and river water to run into the cooler. also some of the two part tops have the same design flaw.
rogwilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #7

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
We have a 128 qt cooler, either Igloo or Coleman. I don't think it matters much between the two. We keep ice great even on super hot 8 days trips by using foil-faced bubble wrap above the ice, and then also above the food. I also started lining the cooler with this, when I recently used a tiny cooler on a warm summer trip. I liked the results and it only took up a tiny bit of space.
Old 07-30-2011   #8

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
We have a 128 qt cooler, either Igloo or Coleman. I don't think it matters much between the two. We keep ice great even on super hot 8 days trips by using foil-faced bubble wrap above the ice, and then also above the food. I also started lining the cooler with this, when I recently used a tiny cooler on a warm summer trip. I liked the results and it only took up a tiny bit of space.
I have been trying the foil bubble wrap also, and it does help a little. Thanks for that tip Laura. Plus I always keep a foam pad on top of everything inside the cooler to fill in any dead space. My biggest issue right now is finding quality block ice. I made a couple smaller blocks of my own using those plastic hospital bath basins for my Rogue trip two weeks ago. They were about 3/4 the size of those crappy pressed ice blocks they sell at grocery stores, but they lasted much longer. Got a Main Salmon trip coming up....I better start making more blocks. Man, I need a bigger freezer !!!!!
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #9

Basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I just purchased a rubbermaid / Gott cooler at sportsman's warehouse.
102 Qt @ 38" x 17.5" comes with 3 refreese water containers.
$140.00 Has heavy duty metal hinges and clasp. although the screws
will pull out before the hinges break. Gott used to make the best coolers in the 80's .
I throw in a softball size piece of dry ice and use block ice - on long trips
I only buy white coolers and the wet towel and bubble wrap tricks .ect. work.
rogwilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #10

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl
..I better start making more blocks. Man, I need a bigger freezer !!!!!
KJ

That's what friends and neighbors are for. This time of year freezers are getting empty, the garden harvest hasn't hit full swing and hunting season is still a ways off. Make a block, have a friend store it, then make another.

Oh yeah, we do a cooler cover also.