I need a new waist bag - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-04-2009   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I need a new waist bag

Which ones do you like and why?

Do I want spectra or polypro or some new rope that I'm unaware of? Seems like the whole thing really ought to float.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2009   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I have the Salamander Guide:

SALAMANDER PADDLE GEAR

What I like about it is the tow rope and its spectra, but I do think it throws the greatest. Any long distance throws it just seems to be a little off balance and not the most accurate. Even after extensive use in a swiftwater class I still much prefer my standard bag.

I saw one I really liked, might have been made by Mongo, that has the waist bag that fully detached from the belt so it was pretty much just a regular throwbag once your using it.
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #3

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Dave,

I really like my NRS bag with spectra, it throws good as it is separate from the belt. It also comes with a flip line that is stored in a separate pouch on the bag.

You can also clip a locking biner on either side of the waist belt, so in a bind you have your own mini pin kit on your body.
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2009   #4

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
SPECTRA!!! Try to Z-drag with a polypro rope and you will see why.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #5

Roxborough, Colorado
Spend the extra bucks to get the spectra. The poly will strectch too much and is not as strong as spectra. The only advantage to poly is cost and it will strectch before breaking. Spectra cord will just snap. The salamander waist bag is what I use. There are times when you are on shore and you need your throw bag right then and there but dont have the time to get it out of your kayak. It is nice to always have it on me. Good luck.
Powderpinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #6

Thornton, Colorado
I like the NRS bags above the Salamander because the throw bag and the hip bag are two different units. I hate throwing the buckle at a swimmer.

I've seen Wildwasser's hip bag and I really like it. But you have to look hard for it, I haven't seen it online, I've been told front range shops carry it.

I've also seen the Level6 Dragonfly bag, but it has belt loops, and you have to buy the belt, so I think you are back to the Salamander design of throwing the whole thing at the swimmer.

B.C.
rockinRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I loved the wildwasser system except that it came apart automatically too often. I've known since the first day that I would eventually lose it. I can't believe i actually kept it for 4+ years.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #8

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Silly reason to buy a pfd but I really like the way the astral throw bag fits in my green jacket.

-MR
Old 06-04-2009   #9

Steamboat, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badazws6 View Post
Silly reason to buy a pfd but I really like the way the astral throw bag fits in my green jacket.

-MR

Matt brings up a good point I did not even think of. The Astral designs over the last several years are the reason I have not replaced my Salamander waist bag. Having both the throw rope and tow integrated into the jacket and on you at all times has proven quite nice and very user friendly.

Since I only kayak I cant speak if this works well for all river craft, I wonder if this setup works for rafters as well? I know most that captain the big boats also want a flip line which might fit in the same pocket as the tow rope which could be slick.......
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #10

x, x
Paddling Since: x
Yo Dave, I like the salamander bags. The standard bag with 55' of poly, the biner hides in a velcro pouch. Very sleek and throws well. Also, if you want a waist bag I would do the guide bag, the only alteration I did was the belt system. It takes a seamstress or a sewing machine but is WELL worth the extra time and money.

So, I had the belt cut off the overall bag and 3 belt loops sewn on the bag itself. Then I re-maid the belt seperate of the bag so I could dump the belt and throw the bag better, MUCH better.

My 2 cents, you've helped me...........
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bag