I have a few questions about a Cat - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-03-2009   #1

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2007
I have a few questions about a Cat

I found a cat with Moravia 12ft tubes, 14" in dia. Comes with frame, 2 seats, 2 oars with not much use.

I kayak & don't know much about cats but think it would be nice to own one as well as lending it to friends to get them out on the river more.

Is 14" dia tubes a little small? I assume it can run decent class IV in it?

Any idea what a decent deal for this set up would cost? I heard about it through a buddy through a buddy type of thing so I don't know what he is asking?

Aroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2009   #2

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
The standard 12 ft. Maravia Cat has 20 in. diameter tubes. Not sure if the one you're looking at is a special demo model? I used to row a 14 ft. x 19 in. Jacks Plastic Flyer cat, and it was sort of a little sports car. I also have a 10 ft. X 16 in. (I think, may be 14 in.????) Outcast fishing cat, that I've run down Alpine Canyon a number of times. That was really fun. The boat you're looking at would be a good one person play cat, but wouldn't be good for carrying much gear. Make sure the tubes really are Maravia before you pay top dollar. Hard to say on the price. Depends on the condition. I'm going to guess $1000 or less for the whole deal ??????
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
14" sounds really small. Sounds like a fishing cat not a whitewater boat. The smallest tubes Maravia lists on their site are 12' long and 20" in diameter. Jacks Plastic sells some 12' x 16" tubes for their Cutthroat boat that can be used on whitewater. With a white water ready frame it sells brand new for $1600:
INFLATABLE BOATS, PONTOON BOATS, PERSONAL FLY FISHING BOATS, DRY BAGS, CATARAFTS, PACO PADS, INFLATABLE KAYAKS, WHITEWATER GEAR, PADDLE SPORTS GEAR, RAFTING GEAR, JACK'S PLASTIC WELDING INC

Jack's also makes a inflatable kayak style cat with 12" tubes.

As far as running a Class IV - no reason that 14" tubes wouldn't work. The strength and durability of the tubes, the frame and the oars as well as the skill of the oarsman are all vastly more important that the diameter of the tubes (assuming that they provide enough flotation for whatever load they are carrying). At 12' long by 14" diameter it won't carry a lot of gear or people - but a solo rower shouldn't be a problem. So my advice is make sure that the boat, frame, oars, etc are designed for whitewater, not for gentle rivers and lakes. And a grand or less, maybe much less sounds like the price range - again it really depends on the quality of the components.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2009   #4

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2007
Thanks for the responses. I thought those 14" tubes sounds pretty small. I'll verify the size before I go & look at it. If I did buy a cat I would want it to be able to hold 2 people with enough gear for a week trip. I plan to do the MF Salmon & Main Salmon on it.

If its 14" tubes I don't want to waste my time or money. I do feel I can get it under $800. I think I will buy a nice SLR Digital camera instead.

Thanks for the input.
Aroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #5

if you are wanting a cat for 2 people and a weeks worth of gear you better be looking at a 16 footer with fat tubes. I would think a 14ft would be on the small side for that kind of setup.
panicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #6

niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
another option for small cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroberts View Post
I found a cat with Moravia 12ft tubes, 14" in dia. Comes with frame, 2 seats, 2 oars with not much use.

I kayak & don't know much about cats but think it would be nice to own one as well as lending it to friends to get them out on the river more.

Is 14" dia tubes a little small? I assume it can run decent class IV in it?

Any idea what a decent deal for this set up would cost? I heard about it through a buddy through a buddy type of thing so I don't know what he is asking?
I run a small cat- 11'6" tubes rounded nose, blunt ends, that are essentially 22-23 inch tubes- but hard plastic- and has the flotation of a 14' standard cat. The blunts prevent it from endoing running into holes on bigger drops into sticky pools. Unusual boat for sure. Rotomolded super linear poly. Someone suggested I respond to this thread to throw in my 2 cents worth. The boat is stiff (for obvious reasons), lightning fast, draws very little water, and I've run it in places I probably shouldn't have- and it's kept me safe. It's made by AAA inflatables here in Denver if you want more info. Otherwise, it's just way too bizarre for most boaters to consider. By the way, I've set up a cooler for a passenger occasionally and easily ran 3+ stuff with it (class 4 a few times) and this rig has done the Selway and Middlefork with gear enough for one person. I've also rowed a friend out of the Royal Gorge on a trip that has issues (trouble at Sunshine at 4+K) so they can haul weight for sure. But they are definitely not for everyone so don't get me wrong. I also have a set of rollup cat tubes 12/20's made by AAA, but they are a little smallish for class 4- 4+ in my view- but I run them anyway occasionally at these levels when I want to leave the trailer home. I think the hard plastic tubes go for around $1200.
wayne
wayniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #7

Hillsboro, Oregon
My only objection to the Maravia tubes is they have a very short waterline. It makes them very nimble, but not as stable as a longer waterline would.
veilside180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #8

need some advise. I have a 10'6'' bucket, cool little fellow. I am thinking about cutting the bottom out and installing a frame. Is this wise?

Thoughts?
Palo Duro is offline   Reply With Quote