I Done It - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-21-2011   #1

little rock, Arkansas
I Done It

Well, I finally stopped pussyfooting around and got almost everything together for my raft. Ordered fittings, cooler mount, oar mounts, oar locks (went ahead and ponied up for the Superston), oars (and everything to go with them), straps, cargo floor, gear net, and roll of Tear-Aid. Got it all from Darren at Frontierplay. I was really pleased with the experience and the price, even if the total was twice what I paid for the raft. (That's 'cause I only paid $400 for the raft). Think I'm gonna get an Aire Landing Pad for sleeping and padding the drybox for passengers. Love to get a Paco, but holy schneikes! I'll be using 1.25" EMT for the pipe. I plan to con someone with a pipe bender into bending a piece into a U, which I'll fit with a piece of plywood and slide into two of the T fittings for occasional motor use. Now it's up to UPS. Come on goodies!

lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2011   #2

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
You thought this was a cheap hobby, huh? I'd get used to it.

In seriousness, though, I was planning to hold off on buying a raft for at least a year due to the expense, until I pulled a GC permit and promptly put out enough to buy a very nice used car.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011   #3

little rock, Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandob9 View Post
You thought this was a cheap hobby, huh? I'd get used to it.

In seriousness, though, I was planning to hold off on buying a raft for at least a year due to the expense, until I pulled a GC permit and promptly put out enough to buy a very nice used car.
No, I quickly learned otherwise when I started frame and oar shopping. My plan is to take my learning lumps in the $400 bucket boat. Once I kinda sorta get a handle on it I'll start thinking about some better rubber. Can't wait to get it all assembled and try it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2011   #4

Jenks, Oklahoma
I used to sail and fly airplanes.

Gear for both is built for strength and uses quality craftsmanship.

Rafting gear fits into the same classification. Gear failure is sometimes just an inconvenience but may well end up in disaster.

River running gear is expensive but most of the time you get what you pay for.

Starting out with used gear is a good way to learn at minimal cost. I have found that saving up for good gear, taking care of it and for the most part quality boating gear will last a long time. The longer you use the gear the more reasonable the cost per use.

Welcome to the sport Incoop and sounds like you have a good plan going on.
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011   #5

little rock, Arkansas
Thanks Okie. Are you the same Okieboater that's on ACC? If so, you may know me as Deuce.
Old 01-21-2011   #6

x, x
Paddling Since: x
you can buy an 1.25" emt foot bender shoe(head) and a peice of threaded pipe for the handle as the cheap option, you can buy it complete w/handle from the supply store too, but its a few more bucks. also having the foot bender sets you up for fishing accessories as well, belly bar, oar towers, anchor hoist...etc a good investment. it will also bend aluminum, remember foot pressure or you will get wrinkles, if you do get a friend to help you steady it and it would be fine.

congrats on the gear........
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011   #7

Jenks, Oklahoma
yup, same okieboater.

Thanks for the handle Deuce.

I spend a lot of summer time boating in CO when the creeks are not running in AR.

Welcome to the Buzz
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011   #8

little rock, Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
yup, same okieboater.

Thanks for the handle Deuce.

I spend a lot of summer time boating in CO when the creeks are not running in AR.

Welcome to the Buzz
Hope something starts running soon. My desire is to float and fish lower Buffy, Ouachita, Spring et al then maybe grow into bigger water. We'll see how it goes. At least the Spring always has enough water.
Old 01-21-2011   #9

little rock, Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbuilds View Post
you can buy an 1.25" emt foot bender shoe(head) and a peice of threaded pipe for the handle as the cheap option, you can buy it complete w/handle from the supply store too, but its a few more bucks. also having the foot bender sets you up for fishing accessories as well, belly bar, oar towers, anchor hoist...etc a good investment. it will also bend aluminum, remember foot pressure or you will get wrinkles, if you do get a friend to help you steady it and it would be fine.

congrats on the gear........
Cool. Thanks for the tip. Might do that. Will definitely make my wife happy when I stick yet another tool in the garage.