Hypalon vs. PVC? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-17-2008   #1

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1988
Hypalon vs. PVC?

Hey out there,

I am in the market for my first raft. I am looking at big older boats. I am looking for some opinions on Hypalon vs. PVC. I have rowed both types and have not noticed anything I loved or hated about either. Let me know what you think.

Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2008   #2

ww guide/ frame builder/welder, mobile fabrication gig
topic has been covered , just do a search.

there are about 5 company's out there that make rafts. all are good, and you'll be fine.

In no paticular order, avon, maravia, nrs, sotar, aire, Jacks, hyside, etc........

i've rowed most, and own a maravia, and a hyside, hows that for utter craziness....a damn korea made hypalon, and a silly usa pvc......holy issues...
Old 06-17-2008   #3

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Like OB says, do a search, I've heard off and on of issues with some types of older PVC boats, the seams delaminating or something? Don't listen to my vague memory, search the archives. Hypalon is heavier.
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2008   #4

speaking of those issues, with old pvc, I have only known about problems with pvc via someone on a board. "I have a friend, that had a friend, that had a friend, and he/she had some problems". other than past employee with"said"company, I haven't seen one person post about delam issues, or personal experience.

not trying to stir the post by any means, but lets hear about it.

any private boaters out there, that have a from the factory, pvc issue that hasn't been addressed?
Old 06-17-2008   #5

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
PVC, here

I've got four Jack's Cats (<jpwinc.com>), from a single Pack Cat to a 15-ft. stretch Flyer Cat. The oldest is twenty or so. Many trips, mostly rocky. Never had to put on a patch. (Now that I've said that, with the river gods listening, I'd better check my patch kit.)

Also used Avon hypalon rafts for sampling alpine lakes: really superb craft.

The quality of the construction and the condition of the individual craft are more important than the base fabric.

So go with the boat you fall in love with.

cheer, Chip
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #6

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I'll add that the after-market care a boat gets is also very important. If you get a PVC boat (I've happily owned 3 and would buy another) be sure after you roll it up to wrap it in a tarp or a carry bag to protect it during travel and in storage. I've heard that abrasions during transport cause more holes in PVC boats than rocks in rivers.

Put some 303 plasticizer on it a couple of times a year, store it out of the sun, and you should be able to get many years out of any boat.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #7

Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by oarbender View Post
any private boaters out there, that have a from the factory, pvc issue that hasn't been addressed?
Star inflatables. Just say no.

Bad materials, bad glue, poor workmanship, seams leaking and delamming, doesn't stand behind thier products.

Star inflatables. Just say no.
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #8

buddy of mine just called today about a 2001 star SB. he asked my thoughts, and i have no personal experience with them, but our conversation was exactly that. I told him that all I had ever heard was hearsay, and he agreed. I told him to call star and ask them what had been done to correct any issues. he agreed, and made that call. the skinny was, "yep, prior to 2000, we had a sub-par product" we addresed the issue, took care of folks that had issues, and have been standing behind them ever since.

again, i have no personal experience, other than seeing a few on the river. Im not sold on the whole design concept, but im not in the market.

any company that will tell you straight up, whats up deserves a chance. just remeber vangaurds 5-7 years ago......now, they are dealing with past failures and takin care of folks....

been wearing chaco's since 94 bought several pairs, and only cause i lost one did i have to replace. after three repairs on my last pair, i sent em in, they sent me a brand new pair. i was shocked, but happy. things will have to change drastically at chaco for me to wear anything else. ( just an example)

it may sound like im defending star, but that is not my intention. if indeed you has a sour experience with them, lets hear about it. it will be a help to all those in search of a craft skinny wallets or fat.... thanks

OB~
Old 06-17-2008   #9
EZ

Agreed on the Chacos. I returned a pair personally to the factory in Paonia one time, and those guys were absolutely superb. This was in ~1998, but whatever, they are still great sandals.

Also agree with Andy H; I have heard of way more holes in boats made by moving them around by yourself when rolled up, than anything else, except possibly with holes made when loading onto a trailer.
EZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #10

Star Owner

I have a Star Superbug, its my second star. Its going on its fifth season. No probelems at all on either raft. I drag it over whatever terrain is at any put in, take out, or lunch spot. I have never even looked before that, The boat has hit walls hard, rip rocks hard, been wrapped, and in fine shape. Barely a nick on it, in fact most folks still comment "new boat". I do lather it up a couple times a year with 303. I also store rolled up with no issues during the winter. It pumps up harder than hypalon, not has hard as coated pvc, but is pretty stiff, floats low water like no other raft, and is a comfortable ride. The boat gets out about 20 days a year.
Salto is offline   Reply With Quote