how to make my boat float? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-11-2016   #1

manitowoc, Wisconsin
Paddling Since: 2008
how to make my boat float?

what kind and or size of flotation for a large karma ?

oldworldlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2016   #2

x, x
Paddling Since: x
Go with the dark grey NRS bags for value. Jackson has a bag that wraps around the pillar and stow floats give you the best of both worlds.

I like stow floats
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016   #3

manitowoc, Wisconsin
skirts

Great! I went with nrs for now I have a tendency to way over pack so the stow bags might get me in trouble. 50 lbs of crap in each stow bag wont help me float much.

Alright next is skirt what size and type of skirt would everyone recommend for my lg karma 36.5 '' x 21.5 '' ? I would like something that will never implode. That might take 2 hands to pull I plan on spending more time upside down then right side up and something that will last 5 seasons not 1 .

Also what about in front of the bow bulk head can a air bag fit up there and if so what size and make /model ?

thanks for the help everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2016   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Not sure if bow floats will fit in the Karma or not... I personally never use them.

Here is what you want for a skirt:

https://www.immersionresearch.com/st...d-spray-skirt/
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016   #5

manitowoc, Wisconsin
Royale vs Charm

that skirt looks pretty nice I also like the looks of the Royale Rand https://www.immersionresearch.com/store/spray-skirts/whitewater-rand-spray-skirts/royale-whitewater-rand-spray-skirt

Any reason not to get the Royale Rand? I like the sound of the 4 way stretch kevlar.

Anyone else have suggestions

Old 02-16-2016   #6

x, x
For the bow bag I use deflated beach balls on each side. NRS makes one for the bow with an extra long tube.

Your skirt choice is good. Go with an xl size to keep it tight on the boat. Harder to stretch but won't implode.

Paddle choices are huge I like Werner. Powerhouse 200 cm bent shaft or straight
Old 02-16-2016   #7

x, x
Remember Kevlar is impossible to cut off in a snag on trees. Not a deal breaker but if you get snagged on limbs you will have to climb out.

There is not many times it has happened but it has been mentioned before
Old 02-16-2016   #8

manitowoc, Wisconsin
powerhouse vs sho gun

Alright the power house looks great the only other paddle I was considering is the Werner sho gun . What would be some reasons to take that power house over the sho gun ?
And thanks to everyone for the help so far .

The kevlar sounds like it is only on the red colored part of the skirt still leaving room for cutting through the side to get free hopefully.
Old 02-16-2016   #9

BV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
To answer all of your questions, I recommend the Kling on or Kling on empire over the Lucky Charm or Royale for Jackson boats. The way that Jackson cockpit rims are designed, a bungee skirt offers a much better and drier fit. The space between the combing and the boat itself is too small to fit a rand very well, especially the Royale due to the extra fabric. These skirts are very implosion resistant and I know numerous class 5 boaters who use the Kling On Empire especially. The only reason implosion could be a concern is if you have plans to run 30 plus foot drops. As for sizing, an XXL will fit the L Karma best, IMO.

When it comes to paddles, the Shogun is an excellent choice. The Shogun is a foam core paddle, so it is lightweight and the foam injected blades help with buoyancy. This translates to a better, stronger brace, and also helps with rolling as the paddle easily resurfaces. The dynel edge on the Shogun keeps the blade shape from wearing down like Powerhouse or Carbon Powerhouse will. They are pricey, but the foam core Werners are well worth the money.
tskoe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016   #10

x, x
I think the show gun is slightly smaller surface area. Not a bad choice either.