How to build a barrel pump - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-13-2017   #21

Denver, Colorado
Incidentally I bought a fairly homemade looking pump from a guy who makes em in Salt Lake and I seem to be able to get a drop stitch floor up to 8+ psi with it.

markhusbands is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2017   #22

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1987
That's right markhusbands. When the plunger is pushed down the gasket seats and seals the chamber. When the plunger lifts up the gasket no longer seals with the top of the plunger and it is lifted up by the spider or star. Air then enters the pump by flowing around the small space between the plunger and the wall of the pump. When pushed down it re-seats against the plunger and wall and the process starts all over.

This is the same regardless of whether you use an o-ring or a foam gasket in a pump.

Foam makes a great gasket for a low pressure pump because it easily expands to fit the uneven sides of the pump and it has very little friction on the walls of the pump. O-rings need lube to overcome the friction on the side walls and need a very smooth wall to slide against.
unlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017   #23
Pieter Porcupine

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Technical Drawings

Hello Unlucky,

If you are interested, I could make some technical drawings of this project. I would just need a few sketches with labels and dimensions. What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlucky View Post
That's right markhusbands. When the plunger is pushed down the gasket seats and seals the chamber. When the plunger lifts up the gasket no longer seals with the top of the plunger and it is lifted up by the spider or star. Air then enters the pump by flowing around the small space between the plunger and the wall of the pump. When pushed down it re-seats against the plunger and wall and the process starts all over.

This is the same regardless of whether you use an o-ring or a foam gasket in a pump.

Foam makes a great gasket for a low pressure pump because it easily expands to fit the uneven sides of the pump and it has very little friction on the walls of the pump. O-rings need lube to overcome the friction on the side walls and need a very smooth wall to slide against.
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2017   #24

Denver, Colorado
And there's no functional difference between the dishwasher drain valve and the check valves NRS sells, which have threads and such?
Old 03-14-2017   #25

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1987
I have never looked at an nrs pump or the check valve but a check valve stops a fluid from from flowing in one direction. Functionally there would be no difference. The check valve can be omitted if you are inflating a leafield or H-R valve. Only a military valve needs a check valve. You may also want a check valve for a pool toy or air mattress.
unlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017   #26

Meridian, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2017
Great write up thanks unlucky! Where do you get the vinyl that you are using for the discs? Also, the four circles that get cut out to make the spider, do they have to be a certain size or do you just need to get the basic shape?

Thanks again!
bwaters932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017   #27

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlucky View Post
I have never looked at an nrs pump or the check valve but a check valve stops a fluid from from flowing in one direction. Functionally there would be no difference. The check valve can be omitted if you are inflating a leafield or H-R valve. Only a military valve needs a check valve. You may also want a check valve for a pool toy or air mattress.
Quick Q... you mentioned a base on my earlier post, we're you refering to a foot hold or the outlet plumbing... I just noticed I posted the wrong pic. It does not show the outlet at the bottom. Do you build a "foot peg" or "hold" like Carlson or just wedge the pump between your feet?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 03-14-2017   #28

p.c., confused
Paddling Since: 1978
I was lucky enough to get one of Unlucky's pumps that he made for me and it has held up just fine no problems at all. Thanks Greg
rivh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017   #29

Denver, Colorado
I'm realizing all of a sudden that Unlucky IS the guy from Salt Lake that I bought a pump from.

Pump works. Gets my floor up to 8 or 9 psi, at which point I get tired of leaning on it.

At least I think he is.
Old 03-15-2017   #30

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Funny, I wondered that the other day...