How much should I ask? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-06-2012   #1
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
How much should I ask?

I've sold a lot of used boating gear, but never a hard boat. My brother-in-law dropped a huge chunk on a brand new play boat and equipment and proceeded to use it twice and give up. He's asked me to sell it, which I will, in the swap section, following y'all's feedback.

So what would be a fair price for a "like new" Rock Star, Werner Sidekick, Bomber Gear skirt, Stohlquist XTract, Kokatak Tropos dry top, and Shred Ready helmet be? Each item has been used from 0-5 times, no more, and on the Upper C at a whitewater maximum.

Should I list it as a package or piece it out?

Any advice on what to price these items at, or tips on what to include in the ads would be great.

Again, I will post ads in the appropriate place following this discussion and am not posting this to sell gear in the forums. Of course, if you know someone interested you can hit me up via PM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-06_09-50-38_600.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	817.4 KB
ID:	5030  

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012   #2
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Tough call. Kayakers looking to buy used are cheep @$$ people. We know that there really isn't much difference from used to new. It's just tupperware. Unless its hammered, it's gona be good for awhile. You have well over 1.5k in gear and when you sell its gona hert. You never know who is out there looking to buy, you might get lucky. In my neck of the woods new rocks are $740 + tax with warrenty. Just two years ago you could get one for under a k. Start high and get set up with a paypal account. If you don't sell by next month then consider waiting until spring when ppl are thinking about kayaking again. I'd put it up as a package for 9 and pray. Maybe take 5-6 for the boat and 2-3 for the gear if it were mine. The pfd and helmet are worthless IMHO. You should buy new when it comes to protection.
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012   #3

student
randy, What size rockstar is it? we aren't all cheap, I'll give you a high five and a six pack for it
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012   #4

Colo Springs, Colorado
I don't know kayak gear, but my rough rule is no more than 50% for decent used gear, about 75% if it's in excellent used condition.

I don't know if you should piece it or not, can't help you there.
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012   #5

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
What size is the PFD? I need to pick up a spare jacket in the next few months...
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012   #6
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
randy, What size rockstar is it? we aren't all cheap, I'll give you a high five and a six pack for it
LMAO
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012   #7

Boise, Idaho
With a boat like that people aren't going to buy a package deal because more than likely they have most of the other stuff. You don't buy a Rockstar as a beginner, either.

So I'd sell separately. The RS can fetch from $600-$750 probably. The paddle maybe $150. The rest of the stuff... who knows?
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012   #8
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleYouEss View Post
What size is the PFD? I need to pick up a spare jacket in the next few months...
It's a Medium and is as close to new as it gets.

Paul, I know you put a lot of love into your high fives, but I think he's looking for money. Maybe your brother can buy it for Gore Canyon.

Thanks for the input folks. I think I'm going to list everything at 75% of retail for now and take reasonable offers. Look for it on the swap and at my upcoming indoor garage sale in Fort Collins, which will have bikes, boating gear, lots of A1 Wildwater rafting T shirts, and some furniture.
Old 08-07-2012   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Who sold a rock star to a newbie? That was a predarory sale that may be one of the main reasons dude didn't take to kayaking. That shop should be ashamed, and offer to buy it back at retail.

and definitely split up the package for sale.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012   #10
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Dave, I don't want to name the shop because I have a feeling the buyer talked his way into it after hanging out by the whitewater park all day.

Since he likes paddling with me and is interested in a lot of outdoor sports without much commitment to any of them I think I'm going to talk him into the sort of inflatable kayak I paddle. No winter pool time and class III right out of the box!