How much does a Patch affect price? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-20-2012   #1

Huntsville, Alabama
Paddling Since: 1999
How much does a Patch affect price?

I found a local 14' Tributary SB low that the guy was asking $1400. Once he pulled it out of storage he found that a rat chewed a hole. He is sending it back to AIRE to get repaired.

Two questions
Does $1400 for a 5 year old "apparently" lightly used Tributary sound reasonable?

How much does a factory repaired patch affect price?

Of course in the end it how much I want to pay but any other opinions is appreciated.

wwskydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2012   #2

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Aire repairs are welded at least as strong as the original. They are done from the inside but could also be done on both sides if requested

Depends on the size of the rat that chewed the hole and how hungry were they? And where on the boat they went to town. A small factory patch should be no big deal. A large hole i think might be considered aesthetically objectionable

Be sure to inspect the zippers closely on any Aire boat. If under warrantee if these are damaged they should be replaced as its not cheap to have this done out of warrantee
Old 04-20-2012   #3

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say patches can greatly affect asking price ...

16' Maravia sb with frame and oars - Mountain Buzz Gear Swap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2012   #4

The 80525, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I've seen well done patches last years on commercially used rafts. I've also seen the opposite, where the patch doesn't last a week sitting in storage. These patches have been redone and the boat is as good as new except with a patch on it. It is like buying a car that has obvious repairs done. You can argue that the vehicle runs like new but the fact of the matter is there is a scratch on the fender. I think it comes down to what you are willing to live with. The patch can always be fixed if it fails but it is going to be a little extra maintenance at some point.
G-Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012   #5

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say patches can greatly affect asking price ...

16' Maravia sb with frame and oars - Mountain Buzz Gear Swap

Damn! I just sold a 16' Maravia that looked about 10 years newer for only $900!! It had a couple dozen patches on the floor, but only 5-6 on the bottom of the tubes.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote