How Indestructible are Partner Stoves? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-23-2012   #1

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
How Indestructible are Partner Stoves?

I'm trying to figure out where to pack my new stove and being that it is built like a drybox, I would hate for it to take up drybox space. Can I put it in the drop bag without the worry of the burners clogging or any other water logging issues?

TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2012   #2

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
While I think you could get away with it, I'd put mine in a dry bag and then into the drop bag. Call Bill at Partner to get the best answer. 208-233-2371
Old 05-23-2012   #3
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Partner Stove Burners

The burners are probably the ONLY part of the Partner susceptible to damage from the elements over time, i.e., they are stainless, but with all the heat they're subjected to, they do tend to rust over time. Thus, I wouldn't be carrying mine in a drop-bag where it gets repeatedly doused.

BTW, also recommend unscrewing the burners annually and laying some anti-seize on the threads. After about several seasons, if they do rust, they'll be hard to take off for replacement.

Outside of that and occassional o-ring replacement, have never had a Partner stove repair issue ever. Been carrying mine for 12+ years and it was 10 years old when I got it. Had it rebuilt at Partner and still runs fine.
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2012   #4

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Thanks for the good advice on maintenance. I think I have an old drybag sitting around that I can stuff the beast in.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012   #5

Leavenworth, Washington
Paddling Since: 1994
I keep mine in a carry bag with handles. (not waterproof) and it gets strapped in wherever it fits on river trips. I carry the partner stove repair kit, and have never used it on a river trip.

The only problems I have had are some minor clogging of the valves. Bring some wire and a pair of wire strippers and they are easy to clean out if they burners start to clog. (First soak the little buggers in some soapy water to loosen the gunk.)

Just my 3 cents

-Dan
GBWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012   #6

spokane, Washington
Paddling Since: 1984
Have thrown it in a drop bag for 10 years with no problems. I blow it out annually with a air hose. Just mainly boat Idaho rivers so no silt if that is a factor.
lll100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012   #7

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
I have a friend that has the smaller 4 burner stove and it fits perfect in a 20 mm amo. can. It seems to keep it very clean and protects the out side from harsh river rash.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012   #8

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Both of the guys that I know with them just strap them to whatever is handy with no protection. Sometimes there will be water in the pores of the burner itself, but once the gas hits them it will force its way out somewhere, giving you something to light, and then the fire will evaporate the water in the rest of the burner.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012   #9

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
I have a friend that has the smaller 4 burner stove and it fits perfect in a 20 mm amo. can. It seems to keep it very clean and protects the out side from harsh river rash.
Main observation I noticed is it seems to keep the very small orifice of the gas lines on the stove and hose clear.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote