HOW DOES THE WAVESPORT HABITAT COMPARE? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-20-2007   #1
bkp
Butt-boater

Photographer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
HOW DOES THE WAVESPORT HABITAT COMPARE?

I was in The Edge kayak shop in Pueblo the other day and they had one of the WaveSport Habitat 74's left. I got a chance to sit in it and was impressed.

However I will be the first to admit that I know little or nothing about what makes a good creek boat as I am only in my second full season of paddling. I dream of having a boat like this lime-green creeker some day (I am getting my wife a boat first and the EZG looks good for her) and boofing drops on local creeks. But I don't know what to look for.

I realize that at some point I should demo one of these boats, but would a beginning creek paddler such as myself need such a boat? If not, what then? I don't have the means for this kind of boat right now, but I can tell you that it sure was fun to sit in it and fantasize.

If you are looking for a lime-green Habitat 74 you might get the one at The Edge, but I might just have to go sit in it one more time before you strap it to the top of your car and drive off.

Thanks in advance for answering my questions and giving me direction.

-Bryan

Advertisement

Old 02-20-2007   #2

Bum
Send a message via MSN to Jiberish
Hey I was gonna reply, but Rick the main man who won the bid on his WS boat of choice sums it all up here :

http://209.63.75.85/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1099

We are all super amped on the boat. It has been tested all over california, and down to brazil this year, as well as Chile 2 years ago. Mine went flying off the Wavesport van about a week ago and slid for about 200 ft before it finally stopped. I looked at the bottom and was excited to see the plastic was fine...

Hope this helps!

Ben Guska
Team Wave Sport
Jiberish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007   #3

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
I'm pretty sure that green 74 is sold.

Bryan, the biggest thing with creekers (obviously volume is quite significant) is their speed. They're designed to turn on a dime, maintain speed and/or slow down when needed, resurface more quickly, cross wicked eddy lines with ease. Ferrying, catching and peeling out of eddies is essential in creek boating. The chine on a flat-hulled playboat has more of a tendency to "catch". When you're dealing with swirling eddies and/or current you want to limit the risk of getting thrown off-line. More volume good, getting squirted bad.

There are a lot of good creek boats out there. I chose the Habitat because I wanted a boat that was +80 gallons (for my size) and I'm a huge WS fan, I believe they've always produced an excellent boat and I believed the hype (and I demo-ed it). The Nomad is very similar. I thought about a L. Burn and a MegaRocker (93 gallons!!), but was sold after a couple hours in the Habi. I thought about a Jefe too.

A mamba, burn, hoss, diesel might be good alternative/transitional boats to a full on creeker. The volume is there, rocker is similar, and they have a little more edge.

You can jump in mine anytime!
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2007   #4
gh

pnw, Colorado
I would think the safety features of a creeker would be very important in the beginning creeking stage.
Old 02-21-2007   #5
bkp
Butt-boater

Photographer, Colorado
GT,

Thanks for the info. I look forward to trying out some of these creekers and from what I have heard, read, and witnessed, the Habitats are right up there at the top.

And that particular boat is still available. At least, as of yesterday when I talked to Bob it was. So if you know anyone looking for a Habitat 74 they can go check that one out.

I think that your 80 might be a bit on the big side for me as I am 5'10" and 165, but thanks for the offer. I would also be interested in hearing about your creeking and maybe see if I could tag along to photograph a run or two.

Let me know if you are interested.

-Bryan
www.bryankelsen.com
Old 02-21-2007   #6

Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Even if you are not to the point where you want to run the gnar, I would still definately recommend finding a creeker you are comfortable in. The problem I had was that I ran everything in my playboat all the time so by the time I was ready to step it up to some runs where I needed a creeker, I didn't know what I liked and felt good paddling in. I spent more time calling people trying to rustle up a boat for the weekend than I actually spent creeking, and got skunked a number of times and had to sit at home in the playpark (not that I'm complaining about that). I think I got more days in creekboats in flat/mellow water just trying to figure them out than I did creeking. Finding something you like will at least give you somewhere to start when you're ready to step it up.

COUNT
Old 02-21-2007   #7
bkp
Butt-boater

Photographer, Colorado
Count,

Part of the reason I am looking at a creeker is to have a boat where I can take my cameras with me on the river. I have a raft lined up for some of what I am planning on shooting this year, but I was thinking that a creeker would be good to get my pelican case of camera gear loaded into.

Thanks for the insight. I definitely want to get in a creeker or two this season to see how they work for me. If anyone hears about demos feel free to give me a head's up.

Thanks again.

-Bryan
www.bryankelsen.com
Old 02-21-2007   #8

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Bryan, talked to Ian this morning, he spoke with Bob yesterday afternoon. He's definitely buying that 74.

GH brings up a very good point......the most important one actually.....SAFETY. Getting pinned, pushed under, etc... Again, it's about limiting the risks.

Yes, the 80 is too big for you......but a paddle at the PPP will atleast give you the feel. Primary/secondary stability, ferrying, catching/peeling out of eddies. You'll just float a little high......I wouldn't suggest buying one that big.....but at the very least you can get an idea of the basic differences between your EZG and a creeker.

I'll have it with me quite a bit this spring, you might as well jump in!!

Jeb
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007   #9
gh

pnw, Colorado
Watershed bag if you are using expensive gear and from your photos I would say you are.
Old 02-22-2007   #10
White R. BC

Durango, Colorado
See gear talk for more on the DR creekers under the Mafia post.
ag3dw is offline   Reply With Quote