How do you store your patch kit? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-27-2010   #1

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
How do you store your patch kit?

I was just looking through my patch kit and noticed that my "methyl ehtyl ketone" had spilled out or leaked all over my extra d-rings and rubber and completely melted the shit out of them. DRE gave me MEK to clean the rubber before applying the glue. It was a good thing that I had it stored in an ammo box or it could have leaked out all over my boat and I don't even want to think of would have happened. I think you only use the MEK for PVC boats but any info on storage would be great.

Advertisement

Old 09-27-2010   #2
A Political Theorist

Gonzorango, Colorado
Starting tonight, in a small ammo can I can wrap in wetsuit and other emergency gear I keep in a stashed in dry bag.

Now, in a nylon bag inside a dry bag.
Droboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #3
sh$t show voyeuor/host

Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
MEK is for pvc, so if your boat is hypalon they gave you the wrong stuff. Although I think DRE makes PVC boats too-you might want to check to see what your boat really is! I would assume that the metal cans it comes in would work well enough. Lots of tape around the lid could help but if its leaking the MEK would just eat it away anyways. Change in pressure (ie altitude while driving) might be the biggest issue with any container. What kind of container was it in? did you do a road trip?
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2010   #4

Evergreen, Colorado
Sorry that was confusing, I have a vangaurd (PVC) but I bought the MEK from DRE. I've stored it in the container it came in and yes every time I go boating i have to cross the continental divide so lots of temp. change and elevation. I only need to bring an ounce of the MEk what would be a good container to hold it in.
Old 09-28-2010   #5

Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Mine is in a small ammo can. I am considering getting a Pelican box instead, since it has fewer sharp corners, etc. The small ammo can usually goes inside of a larger ammo can , among other things. Using a pelican box, I'd just strap it to the frame somewhere and forget about it...
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010   #6

Evergreen, Colorado
The problem is if you carry MEK in your case and it some how comes open it would eat right through a pelican case. I need to show some pictures, when I opened my kit it looked like it had been thrown on a fire. I had a plastic sheathed razor blade that that completely melted and took the shape of the corner of the ammo box.
Old 09-28-2010   #7

C. Springs, Colorado
Try using a glass bottle wrapped in duct tape. I keep my repair kit in an ammo can. MEK and/or toluene can do damage to a plastic pelican case if it does leak. I pack my toluene in the bottom of the box in case it does leak......... it won't dribble down on everything in side of it.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010   #8

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I try to buy the MEK and adhesives in the metal style cans with good gasketed seals. I melt a little candle wax around the lid to improve the seal, then put the whole thing into a heavy plastic bag and vacuum seal it.

Start the season with a fresh UNOPENED cans, once open they never seem to seal up as tight.

The patch kit goes into a dedicated ammo can that holds the lantern, lighter fluid, white gas and other stuff with nasty solvents. Never in a box with any food, it only takes a small amount of vapor to add a really unpleasant taste to everything in the dry box!
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010   #9

Evergreen, Colorado
Cool thanks guys, I found a metal container that was a stain sample cleaned it out and put just enough MEK in there and duct taped the seal, looks good.
Old 09-29-2010   #10

Evergreen, Colorado
After some MEk experimental testings I found that the MEK in an ammo can can do more damage because it can't evaporate, when the MEK is spilled out in an open vented area it evaporates before it can do to much damage.