How do you make your river coffee? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-30-2010   #1

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
How do you make your river coffee?

This may or may not be new. I found out my Mr. Coffee reusable coffee filter basket fits the opening on my coffee pot just right, without falling through, so I filled it with coffee, heated water in a pan and poured the boiling water through the filter and into the coffee pot. The coffee was great. My point is, it was fast and no coffee grounds in the coffee. I use to boil the water in the coffee pot and pour the coffee straight into the boiling coffee pot and than settle the grounds to the bottom with a cup of cold water sprinkled over the top.

raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2010   #2

loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
This may or may not be new. I found out my Mr. Coffee reusable coffee filter basket fits the opening on my coffee pot just right, without falling through, so I filled it with coffee, heated water in a pan and poured the boiling water through the filter and into the coffee pot. The coffee was great. My point is, it was fast and no coffee grounds in the coffee. I use to boil the water in the coffee pot and pour the coffee straight into the boiling coffee pot and than settle the grounds to the bottom with a cup of cold water sprinkled over the top.
We use a perculating camp coffee pot for quantity with larger groups. However, I also have a small 2 cup french press that makes great coffee! Just mix hot water with grounds in the press, let it set, then press out the grounds and enjoy the coffee. Cleanup isn't too bad. The latest thing I've tried is the Starbuck's instant coffee packs. They are a little expensive, but do make a great cup of coffee and requires no cleanup.
cpollema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010   #3

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
GSI thought that was a good idea too: GSI Java Drip Coffee Maker - 30 oz. at REI.com

I like a coffee press, but they are a pain to clean. A friend bought the one above and has worked well so far. I may be inclined to personally invest in it.

For groups (did a river breakfast for ~40 in May), we boiled a pot of water, let it cool a little bit, added grounds, then used a fine strainer and transferred it into a pump top thermal container. Great way to do coffee for a big group.

FWIW - Boil coffee? This basically ruins the coffee by releasing the acids. Let the water cool before adding the grounds and you will have a better cup of java!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2010   #4

Salt Lake City, Utah
We always do the pourover thing. Get a good melitta basket and use a thermos pitcher. No mess, and the best coffee by far. Much better than a french press.

See it the link works.

https://shop.melitta.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=64+0616&Cat=
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010   #5

Jenks, Oklahoma
river coffee

I have a stainless steel bodum 8 cup press and use it for smaller groups.

big groups I use a partner steel pot, bring to boil, take off heat for a minute and dump in cup and one half coarse ground coffee and stir. let set for at least 4 minutes. use a strainer and pour immediately or strain into a big thermos pot. Depending on group's preference add or subtract amount of coffee and brew time. If it is too strong we have hot water boiling for tea and chocolate and put a cup or so hot water into the big pot.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010   #6

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
We always do the pourover thing. Get a good melitta basket and use a thermos pitcher. No mess, and the best coffee by far. Much better than a french press.

See it the link works.

https://shop.melitta.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=64+0616&Cat=
I like that device better than my Mr. Coffee filter device, my coffee pot is about 20+ cup, big coffee drinkers. The speed and easy clean up is what I liked, but it will require packing an extra pan for me. I will have to repack the filter device a couple times to get the coffee strong enough. But I will practice here at home to aquire the right strength of coffee. Just seemed like such a good idea to me, just hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010   #7

Boulder, Colorado
The strainer method is great, basically just like french pressing and how we've done it for years. I have yet to find a plunger that is easy to clean and holds up to camping.

Coffee is only as good as the bean you get, definitely don't boil, and longer than 4 minutes or so can make for bitter coffee as well. If you grind finer than a "French press" grind, it's actually better.

If you really love coffee, this is an informative site...

Tips on Brewing Coffee

Recently I've been loving espresso...this is the latest camp kitchen addition...

Bialetti
Old 07-30-2010   #8

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
If you want good coffee on the river, bring a Bialetta!
Old 07-30-2010   #9

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
[QUOTE=lmaciag;195974]GSI thought that was a good idea too: GSI Java Drip Coffee Maker - 30 oz. at REI.com/QUOTE]

I've been a french press user for years, but I'm getting kinda bored with the sludge in the bottom of my cup. The GSI unit looks pretty cool. Gonna check that out today before heading to the high country.
Old 07-30-2010   #10

Boulder, Colorado
One more thing I'd like to share, don't let a bag of beans labeled "french roast" or "espresso roast" scare you into thinking it might be too strong or bitter; I have found them to make some of the best cups regardless of brew method.