How do you keep for float bags in your boat? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-25-2013   #1

cape may, New Jersey
How do you keep for float bags in your boat?

I recently got some NRS float bags for my pyranaha Z ONE and I was wondering when your not using your boat do you deflate your bags at all? I just don't want them swelling in the heat and deforming the hull.

Thanks!

homeworld8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2013   #2

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Interesting thought? I really don't know a lot of people who use float bags. But sure why not let most of the air out? I do know that if you blow them up my mouth that some of your body fluids will end up in the float bag. So, if the bag is totally collapsed the fluids could get a bit sticky and hold the bag together from the inside a little bit. So I'd leave some air in. Just a crazy out there thought.
Old 09-26-2013   #3
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
The float bags will burst if they over pressurize from the inside before they deform the hull. That said, don't blow up your float bags open the seal when you are done in the water. Or don't inflate them all the way or do both.
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2013   #4

Bisters, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Nice job on getting float bags. Trying to retrieve a boat without them can be difficult and dangerous. Depending on how snug they are when fully inflated you may want to tie them in so they don't come out of the boat if you swim. I usually will open the valves when not in use, and blow them up when needed.
jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013   #5

Grand Junction, Colorado
I keep mine 3/4 full and anchor them in with carabiners the only reason why is temp flux if you take a swim they're are worth the weight in gold to get your boat rescued
flipper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013   #6

cape may, New Jersey
Thank you all for your feed back, I have been leaving the valves open. They fit really snug in my boat, the Z ONE has a relay slicey stern. I tied them off on the point and right behind the seat. I like them pretty well but haven't had to need them yet but it's nice to know they are there when I need them.
homeworld8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
Interesting thought? I really don't know a lot of people who use float bags.
I find that interesting. I won't boat with someone who doesn't have float bags. Goes the same for a throw rope and rescue knife..... imo they are all necessities.

I just leave mine inflated all the time, but they also develop leaks and have to be replaced every 3-5 years.
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013   #8

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Float bags - worth every penny. If you get a bigger boat later on, add one in the nose so that it floats level.

I have a funny story about the float bags in the sun. This summer I left mine inflated on a 95' day on top of my truck. One of my bags was leaking, but the other was strong. As it heated up, the strong bag moved the center pillar off center in the back.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013   #9

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
I find that interesting. I won't boat with someone who doesn't have float bags. Goes the same for a throw rope and rescue knife..... imo they are all necessities.

I just leave mine inflated all the time, but they also develop leaks and have to be replaced every 3-5 years.
A man needs to have his standards! Most of the people I know use dry bags. That way you can put your safety gear, lunch, or what ever inside the dry bag and your safety rope wont get water logged. I feel that a typical air bag just uses up a lot of room when you can accomplish both; dry gear and floatation with dry bags. But that's just me. So, am I still on your "Do not kayak with list?" (-:

I personally don't have any standards I place on others. Maybe I should adopt some..
Old 09-27-2013   #10

bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
I always partially deflate mine so they don't get stretched out in the heat.
As far as paddling with a newbie... we always ask if they have float bags and if they don't we share, but then politely suggest they buy some. It makes our job easier if they swim.
brenda is offline   Reply With Quote