How big in the Villain S? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-14-2010   #1

How big in the Villain S?

I'm looking for input from any 165-185 pound people who have paddled the Villain S.

Jackson claims a weight limit of 180 on this boat, and I hate to be at the top of the wieght range for a creeker (I'm 170 with no gear on), but the specs are so similar to Jefe that I just cracked, which claims a max paddler weight of 205, and am looking to replace I have a hard time believing that I am going to be topping this thing out.

Planning a demo this weekend if Bailey stays up, but thought I'd see if anyone else had given one spin.

Second question, if Jackson truly believes that the max for this boat is 180 and the starting weight for the Villain is 155, why are they not building any boats that have a weight sweet spot for the 165-185 pound dude seeing as how this is a very average weight?

KUpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2010   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
BoaterTalk: BoaterTalk - Villain vs Villain "S" sizing

Above is link that clay wright posted about sizing and weights for the villain S. Addresses some of your questions. I paddle a L, but demoed a S as well for fun. I am 200lbs, but fit fine in the S and it felt like a sporty river runner for me. I think 170 is probably a good weight for villain S.

Agree that a villain M would be a nice addition to the jackson lineup.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouthpaddler View Post
BoaterTalk: BoaterTalk - Villain vs Villain "S" sizing

Above is link that clay wright posted about sizing and weights for the villain S. Addresses some of your questions. I paddle a L, but demoed a S as well for fun. I am 200lbs, but fit fine in the S and it felt like a sporty river runner for me. I think 170 is probably a good weight for villain S.

Agree that a villain M would be a nice addition to the jackson lineup.

Awesome. Thanks for the link. Exactly what I was looking for.

I ran in to an issue with Jackson's sizing on the Fun series after demoing the Fun this year I decided that I was slightly too big for it to run rivers of any consequence, but the 4Fun just seemed huge. Ended up opting for the Fuse 56.

Hoping to avoid this same problem in the creekers with Jackson since I love the way their boats fit and paddle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2010   #4

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
KU,

You are perfectly sized for the "S"... This boat actually has quite a range. Dane for instance loves it and he weighs 120lbs Says he wouldn't paddle a smaller one if we built it. So, it's kind of a unique boat that way. That said I also weigh 205 and can paddle it just fine. Wouldn't want it in HUGE water at the weight, but would be a blast in SSV for instance. That said I paddle the Villain and although this boat can handle much larger than me, it rules for all kinds of creeking/bigwater runs.
You are going to be stoked on it.... Man, it's really fast too...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010   #5

I was hoping you'd chime in on this Marty.

Thanks for the input.

I really hope Bailey stays up so I can give this thing a go on Sunday. Paddled the Prijon Pure last night on Black Rock and while I liked the boat, I missed the rocker from my Jefe and my god is their outfitting uncomfortable.
Old 07-19-2010   #6

Just to follow up....

Took the Villain S out on Bailey yesterday at ~460.

First impression is that Jackson has every other boat I have sat in beat in the outfitting department. Just a few hip shims and I'm good to go. You simply cannot beat the amount of contact you have with the boat.

It rolls fine. Nothing felt strange.

I walked the 1st fall and then put in above #2. I'm used to getting slowed down a little bit in my Jefe, then making a quick turn in to the eddy on river right. The Villian flew through the hole so fast I blew right past the eddy. Definitely operator error on the missed eddy, but it really underscores what The Craw said above: It's really fast. Once I realized this, it was so easy to paddle.

I dropped it in a few holes just to see what would happen and it felt very predictable and not at all grabby. Just like a creek boat should be. The secondary stability is really solid. I put it on it's side several times expecting to flip and it just held on.

All in all, I'm very impressed with the boat. It never felt too small for me. I didn't like how it paddled more than my Jefe, but I didn't like it any less either. Given that Jackson has the edge on plastic and outfitting, this looks like my next boat.