Homemade drop bags? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-24-2010   #1
Roosternater

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Homemade drop bags?

So I grabbed a free trampoline off of craigslist with intentions of making drop bags out of the screen/mat. Anyone ever sewn through webbing with a harry-homeowner sewing machine? Anyone ever made their own drop-bags, mesh-beer-bags, etc.? I failed home economics on account of a stuffed dinosaur that too closely resembled a huge cock-n-balls and I'd rather not trash my friend's sewing machine.

Advertisement

Old 04-24-2010   #2

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
That mesh should work really well. I have worked with webbing on a sketchy home owned machine. Just go really slow and use the biggest needle you have. You may need to rotate the wheel manually. Just make sure you really think out your design before you start cutting. Maybe look at what you are trying to make in the store.

Down river has used cam buckles, or you could go to jax for cheap buckles.

You should post pics of what you come up with. Good luck.
Old 04-25-2010   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I just replaced the mat on Riley's tramp and have the old one and was thinking along the same lines. I was trying to come up with a way to make a tight bay cover to sit on, that would not puddle the way a paco does.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2010   #4

Fort Collins, Colorado
Dave, I am planning on making a floor for someones cat and was planning on sewing all the edges over themselves, than spacing grommets about every 6 inches along all sides. Using a strong bungy cord to weave the material to the frame. Something like that may work for your seat, but im not sure how much it would stretch when you sit on it.

You could sew a few cross pieces of webbing that attache directly to the frame (the way a drop bag does) for more support.
Old 04-25-2010   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
seems like even if it was stretched super tight and going over the frame tubes, were your legs hung over the frame would not be comfy. With the grommet idea, the mat would be down at center of tubes, not above them.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010   #6
Roosternater

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I did a test run on nylon webbing being sewn with the beefiest needle that would fit the machine. I can definitely see that slow is the way to go as the material is thich and strong enough to pull the needle with it (broken needle). As for your idea, Dave Frank, think about the sun hitting that black screen... not butt friendly. The fix would naturally be to use some tramp springs to hold it to the frame so when your passengers get seered cheeks they will be bounced/ejected the first wave you hit for a cool down. Very red-neck James Bond.
Old 04-26-2010   #7

I've used a home machine to stitch nylon, webbing and phifertex. It took some time to get the thread dialed in because I was using a heavy duty nylon thread. I tested some box stitches in tubular webbing and they held to about 800 pounds before breaking. Three layers of webbing was about the max. I prefer polyester webbing because it is easier to work with and plenty strong for the application. One tip is to not force the machine to overwork. If it stops, let it stop or you will ruin the parts. I was able to build a drop bag for about $40 because I used retired climbing webbing and found fabric. Same thing with a drag bag. I've also customized my own cam straps and loop straps for ease of rigging.

BT
thilkbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010   #8

Fort Collins, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Frank View Post
seems like even if it was stretched super tight and going over the frame tubes, were your legs hung over the frame would not be comfy. With the grommet idea, the mat would be down at center of tubes, not above them.
Good point. What if you wrapped it around the tubes and attached the two sides on the bottom directly to each other (like a down river seats). That would get it above the tubes, but you may still have a problem once it stretches.
Old 04-26-2010   #9

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Leather needles work great for thick materials and heavy duty thread, esp if you're having trouble with the stitch bunching on the back. They have a larger slot for the thread to nest in as the needle punctures the fabric.

Tags
bag