Hey mama - how bout the Mamba? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-15-2006   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Hey mama - how bout the Mamba?

I think I've gotten all I can out of my old Dagger Id.
Been running class 4 for a few years, but now things like Pine Creek and Rigormortis are starting to look more tempting every time I see them. I think I need a bit bigger boat.
I don't know if I'm ever going to be a Cheesman Canyon, Lake Creek, full-on steep creeker, you know? But I think some of those roadside class V's and runs like Upper Animas and Piedra are the next horizon line.
Is the Dagger Mamba a good boat for this type of stuff? Or should I just get a full-on creeker?
A friend switched from a playboat to a Mamba recently and seemed to like it. Really fast, handled well.
Anyway I'm going to demo a Mamba tomorrow. It will be the first time I've sat in a big boat since I learned in the old Kinetic four years ago.
Any advice?

thanks.

-Mike G

Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2006   #2
gh

pnw, Colorado
stay out of the big holes...
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006   #3

Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Personally, I don't like the Mamba. I feel it doesn't track that well, doesn't turn that well, and isn't as fast as most of the other creekers I've tried. But, it certainly does get the job done. I've taken it down Gore, West Fork, etc. and it made the difference I needed from the playboat. And it flatspins like nobody's business.

COUNT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2006   #4
gh

pnw, Colorado
I would say try the Burn but you would have guessed that.
Old 08-15-2006   #5

The Mamba Rocks!

If you are looking for a truly all around boat the Mamba does everything from surfing to running big waterfalls and hard rapids. It's edges make it turn way faster that the Nomad, which is known for its superb tracking abilities. I also know that the Mamba is way safer than some of the other company's all around boats out there. The rails on the Mamba are excellent for carving and if you love to blast across eddylines this is the boat for you. It is even been known to throw some huge loops! Some Team Dagger athletes choose to race and paddle the Mamba over the Nomad. It is truly a perfomance based boat.
Take care an I hope to see you on the river!
Alex Hotze
Team D
Alex Hotze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006   #6

Denver, Colorado
Thanks guys --

Outfitted the Mamba last night. Will give er a try this morning.

Greg -- Maybe I should just stay on the bank with a video camera ...
But then you wouldn't have any good carnage to shoot.
Old 08-16-2006   #7
gh

pnw, Colorado
You dont want to be a weenie like me.
Old 08-17-2006   #8

Denver, Colorado
Okay --

I was super tired when I hit the water in the Mamba, so that has to be considered in how the boat handled for me. I definitely was not on top of my game.
But it did feel a good bit faster than my play boats, and certainly more solid in punching through holes.
I was surprised at how easily it rolled - no more difficult than my playboats and that surprised me. It also felt stable when I ran into waves sideways or at an angle. I think I would have stayed upright in my most recent Pine Creek effort had I been in the Mamba instead of my Id.
Catching eddies seemed to take more work, though. My edgy little Id will just SNAP into an eddy. The Mamba sort-of slid in.
I don't like the outfitting. I HATE that style of backband, where it just has the flip-switches at your hips. You can't reasonably make a significant adjustment to backband tightness quickly on the river. It's a chore. And I never did get myself dialed in as well as I wanted, despite having spent almost an hour working on the boat the night before.
Is it typical to feel looser in a creeker than in a playboat?
But worst of all, the thing LEAKED. Big time.
I know -- I've heard the BS about Daggers are leaky boats. Well, I've paddled an awful lot of miles in my Id and turned lots of spins at the ww park in my Kingpin without excessive leaking.
Now, it could have been the crappy skirt that the shop gave me with the demo. (My Snapdragon has finally given out, and a new one is in the mail). And it may have been some loose bolts. I took a wrench to the boat after my day on the river, and found two bolts that were fairly loose on the bow. I guess I should have checked them before paddling, but then I also think a shop ought to give you a boat in good working order when you demo it.
So -- mixed feelings. I'd like to buy the sucker since it's in very good condition and only about half the price of a new one, but then again I didn't LOVE it and it leaked like a mo-fo. I suppose I could demo it again, with a better skirt and with those bolts tightened and with me not severely tired, but that's another 25 bucks ...

Okay. I'm done whining now. Thanks for all the comments.

-Mike
Old 08-17-2006   #9
gh

pnw, Colorado
The reason I recommended the Burn other than the fact that I paddle one is that it has the turning ability of a playboat. If you are used to paddling a boat with chines it feels more like home. I can move my feet around to other positions in my Burn which is different from the kingpin but I am not loose in the boat at all. It doesnt leak.

greg
Old 08-21-2006   #10

Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
After almost a full season paddling a Mamba down IV and V creeks and rivers and demoing as many boats as possible I am close to a decision. I agree with your statements about the Mamba, it is faster and more stable than my playboat while being comparably difficult to eddy out. However, compare it to any number of other creek boats and I think you will find that they are even faster, more stable, and easier to eddy. My top picks are the Burn, Jefe, and Nomad, closely followed by the Rocker. Depending on size and desired paddling, you may also want to consider the Huck, Hoss, or Gus. I will probably be paddling a Nomad next season. Let me know if you want to talk nitty-gritty specifics on any of these. Luck and see you on the River.

COUNT