hero, villain,h3 nomad - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-17-2010   #1

hero, villain,h3 nomad

interested in getting a river runner or creek boat. I'm over the river runner playboat thing. looking for a boat that has more hull speed and a little bit comfortable. when I run rivers it really a point A to point B thing. I'm not stopping and surfing the waves.has anyone paddled the villain, the h3, the nomad.? looking for the positives and negatives of these boats.
thanks
kevin

shelby_climbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2010   #2

Professional Transient, See above.
I paddled a Rocker for a while (no edges, easily deflected by waves, huge front end that often rode up on waves a bit much, awesome secondary stability- overall a bit swirly) and have switched to the Villian recently. I mention the Rocker simply so you'll understand where my perspective is coming from. If I paddled the diesel, I'm sure I'd see the Villian differently.

I love the Villian- fastest creek boat I've paddled, boofs okay (not as well as the rocker), lots of primary stability, harder to deflect off line by waves. Decent edge control though not too grabby to creek in (like my opinion of the Hero). Compared to the Rocker, the Villian actually goes where I point it. It also subs through waves a bit more if I point the bow into them, or can ride up and over if I lift the bow. Love it love it.

I haven't paddled the H3 or Nomad. From what I hear, the Nomad stays on line even better than the Villian, though is harder to turn b/c of that.

I'd go to a shop and demo every one of them, if those are the boats you're interested in.
st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #3

x, x
Paddling Since: x
Iwould get a villan or nomad, the h3 is a good boat, but old and the burns have some advantages tto them,but worth concidering. if you are sub 225 look at a large nomad, if you are bigger get the villan

just sayin...
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2010   #4

so just noticed that pyranha has a boat called the karnali. any word on this boat?
Old 06-17-2010   #5

What you are looking for is the BURN.
Old 06-17-2010   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbuilds View Post
Iwould get a villan or nomad, the h3 is a good boat, but old and the burns have some advantages tto them,but worth concidering. if you are sub 225 look at a large nomad, if you are bigger get the villan

just sayin...
I weigh in at a 180 lbs.
Old 06-17-2010   #7

Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Are you planning on moving into creeking? Or just river running?

I have the '10 Nomad 8.5 and LOVE it. I have spent tons less time in my play boat this season. It isn't as comfortable as either the L.L.'s bad-ass, or Jackson's outfitting, but it is very comfortable.

If you just plan to go down IV/IV+ rivers (aka not creeking) then I don't know if I would recommend any creek boat. The full displacement hull without any edges, you may find them difficult to maneuver.

Above all else DEMO, DEMO, DEMO! Every boat has pros and cons. It is going to come down to what you expect out of a boat and which boat fits those expectations.

B.C.
rockinRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
The Nomad is a fantastic creek boat.
Boofs awesome. Resurfaces awesome.
Excellent initial and secondary stability.
But as with all displacement hull creekers, it's not a great river runner. It doesn't track well in big, deep water.
If you're not creeking, but you're doing mostly river running - stuff like Brown's, Numbers, etc... - The Burn is probably a good option for you.
Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #9

ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Remix, Mamba, Diesel, Hero, Burn, Karnali... the list goes on. All have pluses and minuses, but the one thing they have in common is that they'll get you down the river with relative ease and comfort. I disagree with the above post about displacement hulls... e.g. The Remix is a great river-runner with-out a hard edge on it.
pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010   #10

I think I'm heading down to fib ark and will try and demo some of the boats. I ran idaho springs run yesterday in my jackson fun and got my ass handed to me. boat was squirting me all over. think I'm looking for a river runner.want a boat that does great at one thing and isn't mediocre at multiple things. screw the quiver of one.