Hero or a Remix - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-18-2010   #1

Chicago, Illinois
Paddling Since: 08
Hero or a Remix

I'm a 40 yr old guy just getting into the sport, have taken a course and have made a few succesful rolls and can paddle class 2-3 pretty well. During the course I took that was in the Carolinas I paddled a Remix 79 and loved the comfort of the Bad Ass outfitting and the boats stability, however it was too big for me as I needed a 69 but they did not have one.

I have found a 2010 Jackson Hero Elite that was only paddled 3 times, and like new condition for $600.00 and would like to buy that due to my current financial downfall. Was wondering if I should start with this boat due to the price point. Is the Hero a nice Begginer river runner as well..
Would like to gather some feedback about them... Is the Hero an inferior boat, is it stable, comfortable ect ect.

hopman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2010   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Yes, the Hero is a stable, comfortable river runner that works well for beginners. That said, you need to sit in it - and really you should try and paddle it to make sure it fits YOU comfortably. Not sure what the "Elite" series of Hero is, but if it has only been paddled 3 times, and hasn't been sitting in storage for 9 years, then $600 is a pretty good deal.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #3

Chicago, Illinois
The Hero is a 2010, the Elite means it has the crosslink plastic and the sweet cheeks outfiting. As for paddling it unfortunately I cannot as I am meeting the guy in WI and I am in Chicago.. But I'm 5'10 155 and fit into the weight range perfectly. I can start to take it to the Wasau Whitewater park in WI to paddle...

The gentleman that has it for sale is sponsored by Jackson and really wanted a Villain and that is why he is selling this at a reasonable price. It has the new Multi color scheme as well, Red , yellow and orange swirl. I think I would rather have a Remix but at this pricepoint I have had some people tell me to buy the Hero and you can always sell it... Again it has only been used 3 times and is in like new condition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2010   #4

Chicago, Illinois
Plus I do not have to pay for shipping as I would on a Remix, in Chicago Whitewater Kayaking is non existent LOL... Hence, no Remixs in this area . This guy is only an hour from my house so $600.00 with no shipping is really making the Hero a logical choice.
Old 05-18-2010   #5

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Buy the Hero for sure. That is a good deal and a great boat for you.

The Remix is a fine boat. However, I consider the Hero the overall greater performance oriented boat. The Remix is probably the more forgiving, for those that place that as their most important need. To me, though, I advise you to invest in the boat that is not only stable and confidence building for a beginner, but will afford you real performance capability, as well as meet all your needs as you continue to develop expert skills.

The Hero has the hull that carves the river like a Formula 1 race car on the track, the flaired sidewalls that give you excellent stability (both primary and secondary) once you learn to actively engage your knees (which is what a kayaker has to attain), and the balanced volume to keep the action safe, predictable, and fun.
Old 05-18-2010   #6

Chicago, Illinois
Thank you L meyers and Ken, Just wondering if you have paddled the Remix as well ( Ken ), I've heard that it is alot faster than the Hero as well, however I think I will take youre advice and get the Hero. I was missing some of my Eddie turns with the Remix as I am a begginer was not used to the speed. LOL
Old 05-18-2010   #7

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
The Remix is longer. Basically, length determines speed. That said, speed is not what enjoying whitewater rapids is particularly about unless you're racing. The Remix is an excellent boat, but the Hero, in my opinion, is the more performance oriented and can reward you for years to come.
Old 05-18-2010   #8
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I've paddle both the 69 & Hero. For a beginner I would expect the Remix to feel more stable but the Hero is much easier to maneuver. The Remix is definitely faster, but probably irrelevant and maybe even a bad thing for a beginner. They both are excellent beginner boats. If you have a Hero lined up to purchase you should just snag it and don't look back - it's an awesome boat and if you're having trouble learning in it, it's definitely not because of the boat!
KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #9

legend
I can't believe there is even a discussion here. The remix is in a different league than the Hero. If you want to plop down rivers paddle the hero. If you want to paddle rivers of any level with confidence, get the remix. The remix is stable, comfortable, fast, and certainly more high performance than the hero.
N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #10

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I've tried both and ended up buying a sidekick (kid version of the hero). The remix felt like trying to steer an elephant to me. It might be because it was too big for me, but I felt just as stable in the hero, but I could control it much better. The edges actually do what they are supposed to in the hero and I didn't feel that way in the remix, well, because I don't think it had any (displacement hull?). Also, once I got used to all the strings hanging out in the cockpit, I LOVE the outfitting. I did have to trim the strings, but man is it comfy! I felt like I got a better fit. Any way you can demo them both locally? If not, my advice would be to go ahead and buy the hero. You can always sell it for what you paid for it. That's a killer deal.
kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote