Help with an older Kayak - Perception Eclipse - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-10-2017   #1

Monument, Colorado
Help with an older Kayak - Perception Eclipse

A friend of mine just gave me an old kayak, skirts, lifejacket, helmet, etc.. from probably the early 1990's maybe into the late 1980's.

Can anyone give me some information on this one? Perception Eclipse - 12 feet long.

I think it will make a great boat for later season, I'm sure it can handle whatever, but I figured I'd ask the forum about it. Arkansas river - near Salida.

Thanks in advance!

Astephenson is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2017   #2

Monument, Colorado
Bigger pics...

Old 06-11-2017   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Not sure what kind of information you're looking for.

When I was first learning to kayak ~1990, I paddled Perception Dancers, and maybe even a Mirage...which seems to be pretty close in design to the Eclipse. You might Google for those; you'll find more information on them.

All of those boats were too long and had a poor paddling position--legs straight out in front. There's a reason kayak design has evolved and that they really don't make 'em like that anymore.

That being said, if you know what you're doing, it could be fun to take out to see how paddling used to be. It will make you appreciate modern kayaks even more.

I'm not sure it can handle "whatever." I don't know how well plastic holds up over decades. You might not want to take it creeking.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2017   #4

Too funny you got stuck with his trash!
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017   #5

Monument, Colorado
Oh man, that sucks. I'll probably try it out when later this summer when some of the stretches of the Arkansas are class 2/3. I did get in it and I barely fit in there.. legs are straight out like you said.

My friend was a rafting guide around Grand Junction, CO and used it then (30+ years ago). I imagine he took it on class 4+ rapids back then but then again the plastic was new, etc.
Old 06-13-2017   #6

Take it out for the nostalgia of it you'll get some good laughs I always give kudos in the lift line to the guys on the old straight sticks!
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017   #7

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I would guess that was pre-1990. I started paddling in 86. At that time Noah was one of the only boat company whose outfitting didn't have your legs straight in front of you. Noah's thigh braces were ore widely set and were a lot more comfortable. Within a couple of years Perception came out with the Corsica which was more like the Noah Aeroquatic: had a blunter nose, more bow bouyancy, and the outfitting had thigh braces that were set farther apart.

Nobody had factory installed backbands!

Enjoy!
twmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017   #8

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
Old school. Remember, Blackadar ran all the crazy shit in a boat almost as good as that one. Can big stuff be ran in it? Yes. Are there a lot better boats to run big stuff in that are less that 30 years old? Yes.

Take it for a spin and then pass it on to some other sucker to store. I learned in a boat very similar to that in the late 90s that was a hand me down. Really glad someone handed it down to me but I couldn't wait to get in to something current after a summer in one of those.
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017   #9

Monument, Colorado
I finally got it out last weekend on the Arkansas. Low flow & low water levels gave me a chance (have never hard kayaked before, just IK) to try it out. I planned on a wet exit if necessary but never tipped it over - a few close calls though.

1. It's tight fitting - I see that I can carve some of the foam to get a better fit
2. Legs straight doesn't bother me - I was in it for a few hours and seemed comfy to me. Maybe longer gets old.
3. It was way faster and more agile than inflatable, but that was to be expected
4. It seems to drive through rapids rather than over - maybe the bag setup or my weight? I'm 190lbs. The water would hit me in the chest on big rapids, submerging the front end completely.
5. The skirt is old and leaks. It took me 10 minutes to get the gasket on. I would love to find a new one - does anyone know if there's a universal one or someone who still might make them? custom?

I plan to take a class over the winter to learn how to roll, etc. I think I could continue to use this in the future. I liked it quite a bit - and to the comment earlier, after getting used to this, I bet a new kayak would be awesome.

In summary - is there a company that makes new skirts for this thing?
Old 09-12-2017   #10

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Harmony spray skits come to mind when I see old school boats. Those boats have small cock pits. You should take the boat to the nearest shop and ask them. They will have a solution.

I would not remove too much foam. The foam is part of the structure. Don't want that boat folding under pressure.

I remember leaning to roll in a dancer, everyone was going all the way over. Good times were had by all.

You'll need to keep you eye out for a dagger cross over as the next logical progression in you kayaking.