Help me decide Sotar Legend or ST or Aire Ocelot - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-10-2011   #1

NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
Help me decide Sotar Legend or ST or Aire Ocelot

OK gearheads help me deicide which cat. I'm looking to add to my growing cache of gear. What I want the boat to do is carry me on light weight multiday trips on tight tech rivers, think low water MFS or the Illinois, Tuolumne ect. Mostly just me with a small/moderate amount of gear and maybe one passenger on day trips without overnight gear.
This is a big change for me as this summer I rowed a 16' Sotar raft with all the trimmings, nice for high water trips when you bring almost everything including the GF. Here's the boats I'm considering: 14' Sotar legend, 14' Sotar ST or Aire Super Puma. These boats will be run mostly as oar boats and rarely as a paddle raft.
Thanks for you opinions.

Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2011   #2

Bellevue, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
I'm an AIRE cat guy, but it's way easier to paddle raft a round boat than a cat. So if that's a big consideration go for a Super Puma.
Alphacyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #3

Bellevue, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
Or, if you meant Ocelot like the title of the thread says, go with an AIRE Wave Destroyer instead. It does everything the ocelot can do and some things it can't.
Alphacyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2011   #4

Jerome, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
If you going for Aire for the Wave Destroyer. Bigger rocker for punching through holes. Smaller tube diameter. And tons of fun during big water.
1986zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #5

Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
Legend

I think any of the above would be fine. I just got off a low water (1.76 ft)middle fork Salmon trip on my 13' legend last week. It worked great, and really feels about the same size as my ocelot did. The ocelot tracked better, the legend pivots quicker.
swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #6

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Super Puma with a small t-box/table combination, a 60 qt cooler with a DRE or AAA seat over it, and a custom Stitches-n-Such gear clamshell bag for the stern. Took that same spec'd boat on a Lower Canyons of the Rio Grande WITH a passenger and cold weather gear for a 7 day Christmas thru New Years trip and had no problem at 600 cfs. Rowed pretty much all the time between the rapids/riffles. It all depends on what your primary uses will be.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #7

Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2006
I vote for the Sotar Legend. 12'6 to 13' and keep it light. Lochsa Memorial Day weekend, I'd say a consertative 60% of the boats on the water were Sotar Legends.
DRL River Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #8

Groveland, California
I have a 12.5 Legend and love the boat. It can start feeling a bit small when the water is up on the "T" though. I boat with someone who has a 14' x 25.5 Legend, and I think it might be a better all around size especially if you are looking to take a passenger and gear.

If you go with Sotar, give Neil Nikirk a call (www.golightoutdoors.com) he is the local Sotar rep. Very knowledgable boater and great to deal with.
HPMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #9

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I second calling Neil. He's a good guy and you can't beat the price he will give you.
davecosnowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #10

NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
Cat Frames

Thanks for the tips, I'm kind of leaning towards the boat you mentioned 14' with slightly oversized tubes 24". Sotars having their 20% yearly sale which makes it fairly reasonable in price.
Anyone have pictures of their Cats with their frame setups???
Would love to get some good ideas as this looks like my winter boating project.
Thanks for the ideas so far,
Wavester

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPMG View Post
I have a 12.5 Legend and love the boat. It can start feeling a bit small when the water is up on the "T" though. I boat with someone who has a 14' x 25.5 Legend, and I think it might be a better all around size especially if you are looking to take a passenger and gear.

If you go with Sotar, give Neil Nikirk a call (www.golightoutdoors.com) he is the local Sotar rep. Very knowledgable boater and great to deal with.
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aire