Help for a playboat newbie - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-24-2007   #1

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: '99
Help for a playboat newbie

I have been running rivers off and on for about 7 years now. This is the season for me to get serious about this sport and more importantly learn some play moves. I'm not into the park and play thing so I'm looking for a good freerunner that I can still throw around on flat water. I demo'd a few boats and am thinking either the '07 Fun or the Recoil. Any thoughts on these boats or others would be appreciated. Since I suck at play moves its hard to know which preformed better.

ddsulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2007   #2
gh

pnw, Colorado
throw around? does that mean you want to do flatwater cartwheels/loops?
Old 04-24-2007   #3

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: '99
Yes, I would like to cartweel and eventually loop the boat in flatwater. I am new at the whole playboating thing but seems like I would learn faster if I could practice technique on flat water.
ddsulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2007   #4

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I have the Jackson superstar which I jumped into at the later half of my second season and love it! It handles well on rivers and is awesome for the flat water.
Just my 2 cents!
stumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007   #5

Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Jackson Star and Fun series boats would be a good pick. Definitely check out the Dagger Agent, WS Project, and LL Ronin, too.

COUNT
Old 04-25-2007   #6
gh

pnw, Colorado
Well unless you are a playboating guru, most people cant flatwater free running boats. I would say think of a real playboat and add the 420 to this list.
Old 04-25-2007   #7

Gypsum, Colorado
I think the star flat waters every bit as easy as the 420, the 420 "in my humble opinion" is a lot less forgiving on the river! The key is to get one that is comfortable for you DEMO! DEMO! DEMO! Most stores will give you up to 3 demos off the price of your boat so you have nothing to lose!

Non playboating guru here---->stumpster
Old 04-25-2007   #8
gh

pnw, Colorado
I didnt say anything bad about the star. The original thread/question is about free running kayaks. My statement is that if you want to do flatwater work, you need a playboat not a play/river runner. If you are thinking playboat add the 420 to the previous list. Didnt mean to say that the 420 is the only real playboat.
Old 04-25-2007   #9

Gypsum, Colorado
Its ALLGOOD! As you can see I'm a little touchy about my girl!
I spent more time in that boat last year then with my wife soooo!!
Probably not a good thing but!
Old 04-26-2007   #10

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
AS the giddy owner of a new 07 4fun my vote is in for the fun series what awesome boat! Super comfy and it surfs and spins like a champ! I saw Don Dowling flat water loop it if you want to see what it's capable of just get on the jackson web site! Of course EJ and Clay wright can loop a creek boat but it's nice to see what could be! I am not a great play boater by any means but do I love the control of this boat I almost looped it at the trestle wave not on purpose of course!! Just my 2cents which is what its worth!
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote