Help: Broke my boat - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-05-2010   #1

DFW, Texas
Paddling Since: 1990
Help: Broke my boat

I cracked the hull of my Jackson Fun yesterday on the Cossatot River in Arkansas. I have a crack about 4-5 inches long right in the middle of the bottom of the boat. It runs kinda diagonally across the boat. I take on quite a bit of water when going through anything that bounces the boat around.

Can this be repaired or do I have a new extra large blue planter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crack.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	2456  

rpmswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2010   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Jackson plastic is not generally fixed like other boats with a plastic weld since they use cross link plastic, a lot of people have good luck with a bituthane patch.

Check this link as it has a lot of info:

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...air-27983.html

I will say I cracked my Fun as well, was within the 3 year warranty and got a new shell for very reasonable price. I would engage Jackson customer support and see what they have to say, they took care of me.
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010   #3

DFW, Texas
I dont think I'm in the warranty zone. I've had it a couple of years and bought it as a demo, so I'm sure it's out of warranty. It just chaps my butt. I've paddled close to twenty years, owned 9 boats and never broke one. I had a few other boats in the garage so I've only paddled this one on the river 3 or 4 times. Grrrrrr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2010   #4

Golden, Colorado
Just use a bituthane patch. Heat up your boat with a hair dryer and slap it on the inside. You'll have to take your seat out if it is under the seat.

Drill out the ends of the crack to (theoretically) keep the crack from spreading.

Your boat's days are numbered but you can still use it.

People get bituthane from leftovers from roofing and window installation jobs. A roll of 6" stuff just cost me about $18 with tax at Home Depot. Protecto Wrap is the brand:

Protecto Wrap Window and Door Sealing/flashing Tape - 89720933 at The Home Depot
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010   #5

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmswim View Post
I dont think I'm in the warranty zone. I've had it a couple of years and bought it as a demo, so I'm sure it's out of warranty. It just chaps my butt. I've paddled close to twenty years, owned 9 boats and never broke one. I had a few other boats in the garage so I've only paddled this one on the river 3 or 4 times. Grrrrrr.

I'd call Jackson anyway, you might be able to get a new shell at a discount, we have warrantied boats we thought were too old or not qualified.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010   #6
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
One other thing to try is G-Flex Epoxy. I just recently heard about it and have never tried it, but apparently some people are claiming good results repairing plastic boats w/ it. Otherwise the bituthene technique is probably your best bet (or a combination of the 2) and may buy you quite a bit more life on a playboat. Some say not all bituthene is created equal (I think Grace Ice & Water Shield is a favorite). If you search this forum you can find lots of discussion. Welcome to the world of modern plastic boats.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
Also, if you plan on trying to patch it up, make sure you drill out the ends of the crack. It helps spread out the force so that the crack doesn't continue expanding. I've had good luck with this method.
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010   #8

x, x
Paddling Since: x
Quote:
Originally Posted by craven_morhead View Post
Also, if you plan on trying to patch it up, make sure you drill out the ends of the crack. It helps spread out the force so that the crack doesn't continue expanding. I've had good luck with this method.
well done.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010   #9

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I too have had great results with the 'whaley weld' method on an older cross link creeker. the crack was right under the seat off centered a few inches. after the weld, I took it out and boofed and rockspinned on anything sticking out of the water in the pilar section. didn't phase it one bit. a flexible, waterproof patch. thanks duck tape.
ajpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010   #10

DFW, Texas
Jackson is going to stand by me. Even though it's out of warranty, and even though I'm not the original owner, they will treat it like a 3rd year, original owner warranty.
Basically I can buy another '07 demo (like I had) for 40% of retail.

Now all I have to do is come up with the money. One of the boaters here in Texas made me the kind offer of his boat. He told me his wife wont let him buy another boat till he breaks one. So if anyone is in the same position send me your boat and I'll break it for you, practically guaranteed. I'm a regular rock magnet. If there is a rock in the river I'll find it.