Helmet with good padding/protection? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-24-2012   #1
swimming

behind your mom, Colorado
Helmet with good padding/protection?

Took my first good hit just above my left eye just above the bill of the helmet. I have a WRSI vented, no cracks or damage other than a little scratch but I have a giant goose egg on my forehead from the impact, and I hit hard enough to get dizzy and a little nauseous. Any helmets out there that offer some more padding than this thing? It fits pretty snug already so I don't think I'll really be able to add anything to it. Possibly looking to go full face too.. it would have sucked to take that impact to the face.

streetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012   #2
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Sounds like your straps are adjusted incorrectly allowing the helmet to ride up exposing your forehead, Common sight. Ensure the rear straps come straight down as possible by working the buckles on each side. You'll know when it's right by pushing up on the front and it wont go up. The front straps will then be shorter.
Old 07-24-2012   #3
swimming

straps are fine dude maybe reread my post... impact was to the helmet, problem is there's only about 1/8" of foam, then hard plastic. not enough...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012   #4

I bought a Sweet Rocker the day after I whacked my head pretty good a few years ago and have been really happy with it. Every time I hit my head I'm happy that I have it on.
rboater7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012   #5

Durango South, 4CRS
Paddling Since: 07
1) Don't be a dick to someone who is offering advice to help you out, even if they misunderstood your post.
2) Try a sweet helmet. Expensive, but cheaper than medical bills.
3) Stay upright.
Old 07-24-2012   #6

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Agreed. Don't be a dick, dude.
DouglasMcArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012   #7

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
agreed.. seriously!
Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012   #8
swimming

I wasn't trying to be a dick.. The rocker is actually the replacement I was looking at (online) anyone know what sizing is like or where I can try one on in the front range?
Old 07-24-2012   #9

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
Sounds like your straps are adjusted incorrectly allowing the helmet to ride up exposing your forehead, Common sight. Ensure the rear straps come straight down as possible by working the buckles on each side. You'll know when it's right by pushing up on the front and it wont go up. The front straps will then be shorter.

Agreed. Theo is correct here. Although you say the impact was to your helmet, that goose egg on your forehead tells otherwise. Check your straps, and make the proper adjustments.

I've had a WRSI for quite a few years now, and have taken my fair share of head shots all over my helmet. I've never been dizzy, or seen stars, or even had goose eggs on my forehead due to impacts to the helmet.

The only time i did end up with a goose egg and a slight concussion was when my straps were not adjusted properly. I had lost quite a bit of weight over the off season/winter, and when the season began, I didn't readjust for a proper fit. Flipped, helmet initially took the impact, then slid up exposing my forehead, and then I took a shot to my now exposed forehead. Ended up with a goose egg, saw stars, slurred speech, minor concussion. This was due to my helmet not being properly adjusted after having lost around 50 pounds. This was NOT due to an impact to the helmet and its' shell/padding. The WRSI Current is solid; I know really safe, really competent, class V boaters that stand by their WRSI Current helmet.
Old 07-25-2012   #10
swimming

LOL! The helmet is adjusted properly, if It was a straight hit to my forehead I'd have been knocked out. There's a small gouge where the impact occurred, and just to reinforce my opinion that it is proper it was adjusted to me when i bought it. Say what you want 1/8" of foam is not enough...

I have about 6 different helmets for different shit bro i know how a helmet is supposed to fit...

speaking of not being a dick thanks for the pointer to stay upright!!!
I'm sure you never flipped when you were a newbie!