Helmet fit - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-17-2010   #1

Newport, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Helmet fit

I just took my SR fullface on it's first run yesterday and had some concern with it's fit.

It seems to push back off my forehead pretty easily, I tried adjusting the chinstrap forward more with the triangle toggles and tightening the ratchet in the back but it still pushes back pretty far, exposing the front of my head. I ended up rolling in a medium hole (sticky but not vicious) and that was enough to unseat it.

I have never had this problem with my WRSI or greatful heads helmets...

any thoughts? anyone have this problem? is it SR, the model or just how this helmet fits me (or doesnt).

Advertisement

Old 01-17-2010   #2

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I use to have that problem with an old plastic helmet, but when i got a SR i have not had that problem. Maybe it could be just the style. I know there are differant size bands you can put along your forehead. Maybe try a smaller one of those.
youngpaddler06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #3

bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
I had the same problem and never could fix it, so gave the helmet away
I now have a WRSI and it doesn't budge from my head and is comfortable.
brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2010   #4

Boyertown, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 2007
I have a SR Fullface and if you make sure you outfit it correctly with the pads it doesn't move. I also have a SR TDub and I don't even have to strap it down and I can shake my head like I'm at a rock concert and it doesn't fall off. It may just be my head but SR fits me perfectly.
cbieh589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #5

x, x
Paddling Since: x
before you go giving your helmet away, try to put the thickest pad in the back and thinest in the front. The idea is to get the pressure from the fore head lift to apply directly to the back of the helmet, preventing lift. one option. Helmet fit takes time to dial in. most peoples helmet fit incorrectly, and they dont learn about it till its too late. i will look for a video to help you, be right back..........
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #6

x, x
i like this one.........

fit guide, not everything, but a start.
Old 01-19-2010   #7

Newport, Oregon
Thanks for the input. The padding and shims are good and snug, the issue for me is in the chin strap anchor points and how much they allow the helmet to ride back off my head. The "rock out" test works fine but hitting a rock, tree, hippo etc. is a bit more drastic of an impact than shaking your head. I continued to tweak the toggles towards the front and got a better fit but still maybe not as solid as my wrsi. gonna go back and give er another go tonight, hopefully it will work out.

Other than that I really do love the helmet, and the price is right.

Thanks for the vids bob.
Old 01-19-2010   #8

x, x
Glad you enjoyed the videos, I happened to remember them. not that informative but funny none the less.

Let us know how you make out with your helmet fit, I try to encourage everyone to do fit test at home and know how to adjust the adjustments and fit the foam. Try the chin strap web position tight under your ear lobe and play the slack out to the clips. I found this best in preventing helmet lift, that and the the thickest foam behind that roll in the back of every ones head where the skull mets what feels like a vertabre.
Old 01-19-2010   #9

Evan,
I have the same problem. My old SR t-dub helmet wouldn't budge, but the full face slides back on my head a lot. I have adjusted it and made it better but I can't get the solid bomber feel of the t-dub.

First time I wore the full face helmet was on OBJ. I thought it was tight, but when I landed the big one the water pushed it back so far that the face bar was in front of my eyes. Sketchy.

No real advice here, but to say that the way that the ratchet system hits my head is not as secure as with the other SR helmets or other brands like wrsi, no matter what I do. I also have the older version of the full face, I think the new full face helmets come with the same HOG lock system as the other SR helmets so they might be just as good.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010   #10

Newport, Oregon
Yeah, I think it does have the HOG system but I still have the same problems. I got it now to only travel a few inches but a few inches is still exposed. I want to get this helmet ready for your brother's arrival!

I hear you're kickin ass and takin names in Law School out there, when you gonna come this way and fire up the Little White?

Tags
fit, full face helmet, helmet, shred ready