Helmet cameras - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-10-2011   #1

eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Helmet cameras

Does anyone have any recommendations for helmet cams? We are looking for one to take action shots of the kids skiing and on the river. Thanks in advance!

mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011   #2
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
GoPro HD, all the cool kids using it
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011   #3

Denver, Colorado
GO PRO! GOOOOOO PROOOOOOO! BE A HERO! GOOOOO PROOOOOO!
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011   #4

x, x
Paddling Since: x
I just want to say, save your money and buy a shock proof waterproof digital for less than the new 1080gp.

the footage is not that good most of the time and the hard plastic case sucks up the cold and kills your batterys FAST. it is good for recon missions when kayaking but it just plan terrible for clod weather. some people are a fan, i am not.

plus, as for the battery statment befor you guys go nuts, keep in mind i can put the digital camera in my chest pocket to keep it warm between uses and take it out for a picture or movie, they too have image stableizers. the go pro tends to stay on your head, chest, pole etc.staying exposed to elements, however they do work nicely in powder. when the ride is smooth
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011   #5
The Russian

SLC, Utah
I believe the question was about helmet cameras and not pocketable chest cams... P&S cameras are nice to have, but having one on your helmet is a pain. I've had Olympus and Pentax P&S on my helmet in the past and they are heavy, bulky and looks just plain funky.

If the battery is a problem, get 2-3 of them from ebay for very cheap.

If you got scuba gear, there is my Go Pro HD at the bottom of Skull
Old 03-10-2011   #6

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazak4x4 View Post
I've had Olympus and Pentax P&S on my helmet in the past and they are heavy, bulky and looks just plain funky.
Truth, I mean the GoPro solves all of these issues. Sleek, aerodynamic, small, light. GOOO PROOOO!

Old 03-10-2011   #7

x, x
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazak4x4 View Post
I believe the question was about helmet cameras and not pocketable chest cams... P&S cameras are nice to have, but having one on your helmet is a pain. I've had Olympus and Pentax P&S on my helmet in the past and they are heavy, bulky and looks just plain funky.

If the battery is a problem, get 2-3 of them from ebay for very cheap.

this is a good idea^^^carry them against your body to keep them warm.

If you got scuba gear, there is my Go Pro HD at the bottom of Skull
also they do make aluminum clasps now so if the plastic one does break, but if you hit a rock you break the case instead of the mount.

you are correct, my .02 was added to save him from wasting his money, that is my opinion. but what would I know, I only ski 50+ days a year and kayak about the same. I enjoy and capture more photos the way I recomend than the other options I have ALREADY TRIED.

thought you might be interested to know that, that is all.

Nick, that was quality right there man.....

and, if i had to make a recomendation it would be for the sony vio i belive? it is not for kids to use though, but the battery is seperate from the camera and has a control module as well its like 400$ though, i have been looking for the link, i think i am wrong on the model.
Old 03-10-2011   #8
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Sorry, didn't mean to come off so anal. Whatever works for you and gets the footage of flips!
Old 03-10-2011   #9

x, x
I am sorry too, I hate re-reading my post to find I sound jumpy.

to tell you rhe truth when I saw P&S I thought POS and was like"what???"

so kazak, are you going back to the go pro or trying something new?
which go pro did you have? I had the first gen. version and was no impreseed at all. I had a chance to use a 1080w earlyer this season and found the image quality to be great for still pictures of family but the action shots were hard to bring the depth to reality(all though it works in the huckers favor) anything over 10' looks like the end of the world! it will give you a panoramic veiw quite well. but i found i was limited with my options. the video is great for reliving the day or replaying a run down a creek to bring it all to memory again but really hard for others to wach. I just think you have more avalability with a P&S. Although I do not recomend point and shoot or the auto feature. Read the book and learn how to use the avalible settings will allow you to do more with all the variable light conditions. i am getting off topic.
Old 03-10-2011   #10
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Group Hugs!

I use GoPro HD + Sony a55 SLR for camp pics, action photos and 1080p video at low light with good lens.

I've used all around P&S for photos and videos and just couldn't get good at either.

Tags
camera