HD Video Camcorder - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-06-2009   #1

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
HD Video Camcorder

What is anyone using for HD video these days? Waterproof of course. I did a buzz search and didn't find much except the usual digitals with video capabilities. Maybe that's the best way to go, but I'm really leaning toward a camera that is video first and stills second.

I was looking at some of the Sanyo stuff, but the reviews were less the stellar.

Advertisement

Old 12-06-2009   #2
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Personally I think HD is way over rated (so is high megapix)
1. what are you really going to output it to? will the presentation format be worthy of HD and therefore be worth the extra $. 72dpi screen resolution is not worth the memory or money for HD.
B. the quality of lens glass is also a huge factor in image quality. but the manufactures dont mention that. Sort of like playing a CD through paper cone factory speakers.

On the other hand if quality is a concern look for 3 chip and quality glass before you look at a consumer model HDV
Old 12-06-2009   #3

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhyman View Post
What is anyone using for HD video these days? Waterproof of course. I did a buzz search and didn't find much except the usual digitals with video capabilities. Maybe that's the best way to go, but I'm really leaning toward a camera that is video first and stills second.

I was looking at some of the Sanyo stuff, but the reviews were less the stellar.

Here's the one that a buddy of mine uses, great HD quality too. You'll have to buy the waterproof housing for it though, the waterproof case is bomber and it does not obstruct the functionality. IMO, it has Much better resolution than those pentax's and optio's.

Flip Video Camcorder:
Flip Video U2120 Black HD Series Camcorder - U2120B

Also, here's another page with a bunch of other waterproof camcorders, kinda big and bulky to take on the river though unless you store it in your boat, and eddy out to shoot video.
waterproof camcorder - Google Product Search

Here's video of us on Fossil Creek, shot with the HD Flip Camcorder. There is some footage in there shot with the NON-HD Flip cam too, which you can definately tell the 2 apart.
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2009   #4
The Russian

SLC, Utah
I just purchased GoPro HD Hero camera, haven't taken it to the river yet, but around the house it's been fun so far.
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #5

Student
Love my sanyo

I'm really liking my Sanyo VPC-WH1 HD waterproof camcorder. The small size is nice, I can fit it in my PFD front pocket. The quality is great for the price. This clip I did was all shot on the Sanyo

and the price is awesome. So far I am pretty impressed. Atom...
Amazon.com: Sanyo VPC-WH1 HD Waterproof Flash Memory Camcorder w/ 30x Optical Zoom (Yellow): Camera & Photo

Quote:

atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #6

Rocky Mountain Hooliganz, Rocky Mountain High
Paddling Since: 2007
Flip HD

Hey what's up!! Airborne is my friend that replied earlier, and I'm the person using the HD Flip. I love it!! I'll post some of the new HD clips right off the camera It looks amazing!! The "Fossil Creek" video I made is compiled with HD and other low quality SD files. So the finished product definitely looks different from original clips (not as clean). But the clips before I rendered the video for the internet were amazing!!! Rendering quality issues/settings were my fault (user error)!! .

The Sanyo video that "Atom" made looks awesome, but my friend has the same camera and we both feel the Flip was a little better quality for water and snow shots with alot of direct sunlight. "IT'S ALL PERSONAL PREFFERENCE"!! Flip sucks at "Night"(no light on camera), and no built in stabilization for the shaky videographer!!!

Get the waterproof HD POV helmet cam"AND" a waterproof HD point and shoot video camera for "FULL perspective". Just a POV or go pro helmet cam SUCKS!! That's what I've concluded from my past experience.

I could go on and on about HD also. Someone already started to dabble into it, but the HD world is a very different place when working with "TRUE" 1080p/1080i. We're talking "1 gig a minute". When working with clips editing. So it all depends on how hard core you want to get with your videography. Good Luck and have fun with your new toy!! Looking forward to seeing some footage!! (Sorry for the long book!!)

Cheers!!

-Nick
Old 12-09-2009   #7

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
I haven't researched it a lot yet, but does anybody use a Flip camera. Seems like the down side is 120 minutes and no way to use an additional memory card. Plus, you need to use a waterproof case.
Uses AA batteries.
Old 12-09-2009   #8
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Hey guys I just came across this comparison, whoever is in the search for a good camcorder might want to look at this link:

The Best Camcorders You Can Buy on Every Budget - Camcorder reviews - Gizmodo
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009   #9

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
I'm really liking my Sanyo VPC-WH1 HD waterproof camcorder. The small size is nice, I can fit it in my PFD front pocket. The quality is great for the price. This clip I did was all shot on the Sanyo

and the price is awesome. So far I am pretty impressed. Atom...
Amazon.com: Sanyo VPC-WH1 HD Waterproof Flash Memory Camcorder w/ 30x Optical Zoom (Yellow): Camera & Photo

I agree I love my Sanyo and the quality is untouchable
C12Charles.Nobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009   #10

Rocky Mountain Hooliganz, Rocky Mountain High
Paddling Since: 2007
Quote:
I haven't researched it a lot yet, but does anybody use a Flip camera. Seems like the down side is 120 minutes and no way to use an additional memory card. Plus, you need to use a waterproof case.
Uses AA batteries.
(!!!See post above!!!) Look up!!!!

Flip Camera is the SHZNIT!! Fits in front pocket of PFD with waterproof case on!! 2hrs of "CLEAN HD" I always pack spare batteries. I LOVE it!! Everyone has their own opinion though!!

I've used Flip since their very first model. It jsut keeps getting better!! It's a very cheap point-and-shoot HD solution!! I feel it is the best compact, point-and-shoot digital HD camcorder to date (but that's just my opinion)!! Not professional grade though, if that is what you are looking for. Perfect for Vimeo or Youtube (internet or personal fun use).

Cheers!!

-Nick