Has anyone ditched your creeker for an antix or similar boat? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 03-30-2018   #1

Portland, Oregon
Has anyone ditched your creeker for an antix or similar boat?

Wondering if anyone out there has ditched your creek boat in favor of a smaller volume slicy tail boat like an antix axiom or brappp. I love my antix so much that it ends up being the boat I paddle most and therefore the one I am most comfortable in. On more challenging runs where I have paddled both boats I actually do better in the antix. Even when I try to do several runs in a row in the creeker to get in the grove I still feel more comfortable in the antix. I find it easier to hold a line and maneuver the smaller boat. So am I crazy to consider selling the 9rL and just creeking in the large antix? I have been paddling 4 years and my idea of challenging runs are 4+ at this time. For reference I am 6' and 200 lbs so close to the middle to bottom of the weight range. So has anyone else done this?

PaddleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2018   #2

Jackson, Wyoming
I have a party braap and it is my favorite boat for class IV runs. For anything harder, I like having a full creeker. I definitely don't feel as confident on hard whitewater in my party braap. I also feel like I can provide the same safety in my braap versus a full size boat. Plus you can't self support in a party braap!
Ranye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018   #3

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Antix

You really like the Antix that much? I've been thinking a bout getting one. I've been in a Super Star paddling 3 to 4's, bigger water is a bit interesting i the smaller boat. I'm 6'1" 180 so on the lower end for the larger but can't fit in the Medium. Should I get the Antix. Going the Middle Fork in August, thinking it would be a good boat for that.
campo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2018   #4

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
I owned an Antix L last year and paddled it about 50 days on class 3-4+ whitewater. That was the majority of my river days last year. I loved my time in that boat very much. 210 pounds, 6'2".

There was still a lot of whitewater I paddled last year where I preferred my creek boat - overnights and class 5 to be specific. You can certainly get a little more speed in creekers and while they take more practice to keep moving in a straight line, their ability to move faster means BIGGER boofs, ability to make harder lines because of the speed, and take bigger hits (punching holes) due to the volume of a creekboat.
Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018   #5

Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Favre View Post
I owned an Antix L last year and paddled it about 50 days on class 3-4+ whitewater. That was the majority of my river days last year. I loved my time in that boat very much. 210 pounds, 6'2".

There was still a lot of whitewater I paddled last year where I preferred my creek boat - overnights and class 5 to be specific. You can certainly get a little more speed in creekers and while they take more practice to keep moving in a straight line, their ability to move faster means BIGGER boofs, ability to make harder lines because of the speed, and take bigger hits (punching holes) due to the volume of a creekboat.
That perspective is what I thought I was missing. I have always had the mindset that it takes more skill to paddle a smaller boat on a hard run. i think there is truth to that as a beginner but as you get into class 4 and 5 you need to be able to skillfully paddle the longer boat.
Old 03-31-2018   #6

Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by campo View Post
You really like the Antix that much? I've been thinking a bout getting one. I've been in a Super Star paddling 3 to 4's, bigger water is a bit interesting i the smaller boat. I'm 6'1" 180 so on the lower end for the larger but can't fit in the Medium. Should I get the Antix. Going the Middle Fork in August, thinking it would be a good boat for that.
If I have learned anything in kayaking it is that boat selection is more like food than math. There are kayaks that don't "taste good" but there is no right formula for the kayak that you will love. with that said the things I like about the antix are how maneuverable it is due to the shorter length. Also tons of volume up front for creeking and less in the back making it perfectly balanced for playing and creeking. Have fun.
Old 03-31-2018   #7

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2002
I paddled a LL braaap throughout the season last year on the poudre. I found that paddling a slicy boat really helps improve posture.....if I leaned a little bit to the rear at anytime I would flip(I weigh 215 and am 6'1). I felt as if it didn't glide as well as my 9r but that kinda helped develop a strong forward stroke. I like the security of having more volume but the skillset development of a slicy boat supercedes that of a creeker.
nomadderwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018   #8

Worcestershire, Midlands, UK
Paddling Since: 2010
Worth looking at the Pyranha Ripper. More volume and length, and superb to paddle. I'm considering selling my creek boat for one. But then I don't run class 5 regularly (although I know people who do and use one for that).

I'm most definitely considering getting a Loki or the new LL new school/old school boat that they are launching this month.
SimonMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018   #9

Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonMW View Post
Worth looking at the Pyranha Ripper. More volume and length, and superb to paddle. I'm considering selling my creek boat for one. But then I don't run class 5 regularly (although I know people who do and use one for that).

I'm most definitely considering getting a Loki or the new LL new school/old school boat that they are launching this month.
At risk of hijacking my own post make sure you try the jackson Mixmaster. I paddled it Saturday and it is fabulous. The volume is centered around the paddler and very little on the ends which is what I think you need in a slicy boat. That is where I think the loki messed up a little. The large has 60 gallons but a lot of it is in the ends making it less comfortable and not as easy to initiate the ends.

As far as the ripper goes I might try it once the Large comes out but I think I like shorter boats in general.