hard vs. soft - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-11-2011   #1

Bonedale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
hard vs. soft

We have a dilema at work. The boss claims the pumps are set properly but the boats consistently run soft. They bend/buckle in big hits/holes. When heavy people sit on the thwart they list to the center of the boat. I know we have all heard stories of a boat blowing up on a beach or in a lot. Any one have first hand knowledge of this happening? Our air temps on the hottest days hit 105 tops in a blacktop lot. Water temp 60's. Thoughts on PSI? Thanks.

kentuckyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2011   #2

Summit County, and Idaho
hmmm. I am pretty sure I would take "hard" over "soft" any day of the week, and twice on sundays
Fallingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011   #3

Bonedale, Colorado
I agree it should be hard for the best/safest ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2011   #4
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
Go hard

It's never good to go soft. Soft equals sticky on rocks, and limp everywhere else.

Solution. Bring a hand pump and top off your boats. The air might be hot, but you are still sitting in cold water.
Old 07-11-2011   #5

up in them thar hills, Colorado
Paddling Since: 07
are we talking tacos?
CO.rafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011   #6

Boise, Idaho
You might blow a baffle or a chamber, but only if your boats suck...I mean blow. Either way it's better than trapping yourself or a custy in a boat taco. I over-inflate the hell out of my aires and they love every minute of it. A fellow boater's sotar once exploded, but aire and maravia are tough as hell. No specific psi for me. Get em wet and rock hard, which applies to many other activities as well.
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011   #7

Ashlandistan, Oregon
You may have a sweet blower at the base, but you are going to have to top off your boats in the river with a hand pump if you want them hole crushing stiff. Splash them down when you get to the river to cool 'em down, rig some gear, then top 'em off. Yes, I have seen and heard boats blow up in the yard in Colorado and even the bomb proof Aires mentioned by Rafterman, bleed your boats once they come off the river.
solboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011   #8

Bonedale, Colorado
I have guided boats for 16 years. Private trips my boat is hard, and I watch it closely. With the company I work for we frequently are launching 3-12 boats together. Many different guides pump then load boats. We run 2 1/5 hour trips We carry 20+year old pumps in our safety kits, they don't do anything but satisfy USFS rules. When I have added air with a hand pump it creates an awkward scene. Customers wondering why one guide is pumping up their boat but others aren't, or at the boat house "boss" says "hey be careful don't over inflate the boat" rookies and others wondering why is he adding more air. Wondering how to approach this situation at work?
Old 07-11-2011   #9

Ashlandistan, Oregon
You raft for a company that does not carry Carlson or NRS hand pumps to the put in? 20+ year old pumps in the safety kits, ahh that brings some shitty memories from guiding in Colorado. If you are running hypalon boats they gotta be like noodles with the hot air and cold water scene right now. Does your "boss" like guiding limp boats and getting his face slammed into the bow in munchy hits and his guests getting squeezed outta the boat in the center seats?
solboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011   #10

Bonedale, Colorado
He drives busses, for years it was never an issue, just in the last year or two. Never needed pumps at the put in because everything was pumped properly at the boat house.