Happy Feet defect - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-31-2007   #1
Swimmer

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Happy Feet defect

I've seen two pairs of happy feet break in the same way. The connection for the hose with the float-bag type valve snapped off... wondering if anyone else had had problems with this (given that two pairs did the same thing, I wouldn't surprise me if other people had had this happen too) and if so, how would one fix it?

Thanks

Oopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2007   #2

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I am having the same trouble. Overall, I'm not too impressed with the happy feet set up...
Jenna1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007   #3

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Oopps...

We have seen that happen on a few. It's not really a defect as much as a tremendous amount of preasure from legs when the hose us usually wrapped around someting in the boat. We beefed up the size of the coller at bottom of the tube where the fabric is sewn around them and althogh that helped, it can still happen.

I am not saying the are 100% ubreakable, but out of the 10 or so thousand that are out there, we probably see about 50-60 or so each year that have broken in the way you describe.

The main situation that causes this is the two hoses getting twisted around each other and or flipped around so they are pointing out of the bag towards the bow. Then you put your leg pressure on that and it's not long enough to stretch... and viola... it's gonna break somewhere and it's usually there.

I hope this helps anyone in the future. I have to say, I am more happy with them in my boats, then just foam anyday.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2007   #4
Swimmer

Golden, Colorado
Yeah, I just don't like the Happy Feet altogether... just a personal preference, really.

But aside from that, the two that have broken were in our school boats, which means it is my job to fix them... any suggestions for that? You seem to have a pretty good understanding of what I'm talking about, so maybe you have a trick to fix them... glue, AquaSeal, something?

Old 08-31-2007   #5

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Oopps,

Being that I see you are an instructional partner of ours, I would like you to call your closest dealer (in this case Confluence) about this. One thing I am more than interested in is having our products work correctly when being used as demos. Regardless, you will be taken care of very well.

Please get in contact with Don at Confluence. I have spoken with him and these will be taken care of immediately.

Oh, also, my guess is that if you aren't enjoying them... that you might be using them incorrectly. I have seen it many times and unfortunately they are not just plug and play devices. There are two distinct ways to set them up and when done so, they are SUPER comfy, if not they can be a less enjoyable.

Don mentioned that he would love to show you how to best position, and I will make myself available as well. Happy paddling!

Thanks!

Craw
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007   #6
Swimmer

Golden, Colorado
I know a lot of people that love them, and yes, I do know how to use them properly (I know people screw them up sometimes, though, I always have to show students the right way to use them). Personally, I just don't. Same reason my own boat is not a Jackson... it's just a personal preference (don't get me wrong, you guys make great boats... I just love my Juice. Should that boat ever wear out, though, a 2Fun would probably be my next choice).

Thanks for your help.

-Peta