hand paddles - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-09-2012   #1

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 93
hand paddles

I am looking to buy a "back up set of hand paddles" to keep in my boat incase myself or a paddling partner looses their paddle. I would of course, mess around with them to feel comfortable. anyone have any suggestions. I think it is important to be able to feel the loop on the spray skirt, incase I need to swim. Thanks for the suggestions

I was looking at the NRS Propulsion Gloves at NRSweb.com
these would just be for back up or incase I just want to play. Thanks

topbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2012   #2

Professional Transient, See above.
I have a set of "surf fins" I bought for this reason (and b/c I got them super cheap). While I'm guessing they don't work as well as the more common hand paddles (they look like they have less surface area, but they are longer and probably have more leverage), they don't prevent one from grabbing the grab loop. I know some hand paddles have to be undone with ones teeth to be able to then grab the loop.
st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012   #3

SW, Colorado
I have a pair of the NRS' and often keep them in my boat for that same reason. They are pretty effective for how compact they are (esp compared to the rigid type).

Wouldn't want to have to use them in hard stuff, but they're great for westwater, etc. where you might not want to stuff a breakdown in your playboat.
fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2012   #4

other side, of the mountain
Paddling Since: 1994
Peak Performance Hand Paddles, made in Utah by a guy from the SE. Check em out, I love mine and use them in my Squirt K1. Best one's I've tried.
Peak-Performance Hand-Paddles | Facebook

I have the webbed gloves and I think it would be mighty hard to convince the Ranger at WW that those filled the 'spare paddle' requirement.
Old 02-09-2012   #5

SW, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfwarrior View Post
]
I have the webbed gloves and I think it would be mighty hard to convince the Ranger at WW that those filled the 'spare paddle' requirement.
fyi: good to go, numerous times
fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012   #6

Newport, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I have a pair of the rigid type and they are awesome. Did some class III+ stuff in OR with them. As long as it's warm enough they are amazing. I love the double handed boof you can do off ledges and how much control you have in hole riding. I would feel pretty good about using them as a backup. Yes a bit hard to get off, don't exactly need teeth, usually pull off on the cockpit lip fine. Getting them both on is harder usually

As I saw in another thread on the topic here years ago, something like:

"How do you pull your skirt with those on?"
"I just roll up"
"no, but I mean if you have to swim, how do you pull the loop?"
"I don't swim. I have hand paddles on; I roll up"

rolling with hand paddles is like a dream, that's for sure. Anyway, a heck of a lot cheaper and lighter than a breakdown!

And as an aside, I think it is the best way to teach someone how to roll; in a pool with goggles and hand paddles. The feeling is so much more natural. After they get the hip snap and the head down etc. then add the paddle and it's not as overwhelming.
Old 02-09-2012   #7

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Hey man I am the maker of Peak Performance Hand Paddles. I have some pics of my prototype. As of now I have no pics of my finished product. This is because I am in the process producing 16 pairs, and ramping up to make more. It seems like you are in the market for real hand paddles, and not webbed gloves. I personally would not pay $40 for webbed gloves.
Any way I have been hand paddling for awhile, and I had an issue
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012   #8

Farmington, Utah
Opps tried to edit, and it erased half of it. I will post again.
Old 02-09-2012   #9

Farmington, Utah
Hey man I am the maker of Peak Performance Hand Paddles. I have some pics of my prototype. As of now I have no pics of my finished product. This is because I am in the process producing 16 pairs, and ramping up to make more. It seems like you are in the market for real hand paddles, and not webbed gloves. I personally would not pay $40 for webbed gloves.
Any way I have been hand paddling for awhile, and I had an issue most of the options out there on the market. I decided to make my own, and after having many people beg me to make them a pair I decided to start making them. I did not want to make something that would just work, I wanted to make something that was far better than anything currently on the market, but was still affordable.

Biggest things that set my hand paddles apart.
1. 1/4" thick ABS plastic. This is super ridged plastic that will not shatter, and is easily glued to so you can have closed celled foam for added floatation. Other hand paddles use UHP which is chemical resistant(meaning gluing to them can be troublesome), and has tons of flex thus reducing power.

2. A unique strapping system that cradles your hand, while holding super firm yet is still easy to get out of in a sticky situation.

3. A loop in the end of the strap so you can easily tighten the straps with out struggling, or using your teeth.

4. Low profile cam buckles. You get all the hold of a cam buckle with out the weight or the bulk.

5. Custom color options on straps, and buckles. Colors now are red, blue, hot lime green, hot pink, and purple. I use only heavy nylon webbing which is comfortable, and soft on the skin. All seems are sewn with 100% KEVLAR the same thing bullet proof vest are made from.

6. Custom hand sizing. This means if you have very small hands or large hands that haven't fit other hand paddles. I will make sure you get a set that is built to fit you, and your needs. Depending on how custom it may cost extra, but will be affordable. I will stock common hand sizes.

These are some best hand paddles I have ever used, and I have used three different styles of my own, as well as the major ones like Riverholic, Power Paws (out of business), and a pair made by a guy in NC.

Hand paddling can make you a better paddler by teaching you to read water better, and use your boat more VS fighting your way to where you need to go. Also anyone trying to learn to hand roll can benefit a great deal by purchasing hand paddles.

Here are two videos of them in action.

The cost for each pair is $65 plus shipping, and handling.
If you would like a pair you can call me at 801-678-9130 or email me at [email protected]

I will have some ready to ship by Monday Feb. 13th
Old 02-09-2012   #10

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 93
Thanks for the info all. Flying- can you post a picture up here. I looked on your blog. but just saw the great videos. I'll let you guys know the final decision.
topbud is offline   Reply With Quote