Groovers - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-22-2010   #1

Kent, Washington
Groovers

Ok - I'm new here and I just got done reading the 3 most resent threads on groovers. all of your commits were very helpful but, I still have a questions. Which one takes up the least amount space and works everywhere? I have a smaller 14' boat - Super Duper Puma - so I'm trying to conserve space. The biggest trip would be 2 to 3 people for 3 to 5 day's. It sounds like everyone thinks the 20-mm ammo can with or without the Eco-safe system is the smallist but, I just want to confirm. I've seen the small Kayak ones but those don't look very reliable. I also don't like the idea of my junk laying the tray but, if it's the smallist option than I'll find a way to deal with it. Thank T

Fishyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2010   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
Your best bet for running any river without hassle from the rangers is the 20mm ammo can type system with a liquid type additive. We used to just use a bucket and very dry peat moss. Just line the bucket with a bag, pour in a little peat moss, do your business, and top with a little peat moss. We cut out a groove in the underside of a toilet lid to match the diameter of the bucket to make a nice stable base. Just about the same height as a real toilet. The peat moss does a good job of eliminating odors and moisture. This system is not allowed on some rivers.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010   #3
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
While cheap 20mm cans are heavey and not exactly compact. The inserts are expensive. You are from washington, so am I, You have a super duper puma, I also run one on week long trips. All of the following rivers within 1 long days drive of Seattle accept 5-gallon bucket/gamma seal lid groovers (which are scat machine compatible). Andy and Bax in portland sells a handy sling for these with multiple D-rings for strapping it on (strap -on Yo!). These rivers are 5 gallon/gamma cool:

Deschutes,
John Day,
Owyhee,
Rogue,
Illinois,
Grande Ronde,
All sections of the Salmon,
Bruneau,
Jarbidge,
Selway

Once you get done with all these rivers (well over 1000 miles of miltiday remotenes) you can spend another $100+ on an "upgrade"

No the 5 gallon bucket does not take up too much space. Here is a super super with the kitchen sink and still not overloaded for a week.
Note that the photo does not show the handy AnyandBax slings which I just saw and baught last week for $14.95
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5020006.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	610.7 KB
ID:	2232  
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2010   #4

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
I run a Super Duper too and use the eco-safe's. I usually stow em(one ammo can for tank,one can for lid) directly behind me,in the stern. I think there's just enough room for them to go side by side,along your frame. I use the clam shell bag thing in the stern bay. Can't remember the proper name of it right now.
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010   #5
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
If it's allowed on the rivers you plan to run check out the PETT toilet with WAG bags. You can put the waste in any size ammo can you want and the fold up toilet is light weight and really easy to stow. I use it for lots of shorter trips when I don't want to mess with tanks. Even if you choose to use a full size rocketbox for your poop, you won't need another for the lid, etc.

I use a dry bag for clean TP, chemicals, etc. since it can handle a little squishing.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010   #6
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Forgot Hells Canyon in the list which is also 5 gallon/gamma copasetic.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010   #7

Kent, Washington
Great ideas guy's - thanks for the help.
Fishyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010   #8

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Down River Equipment

These slings come in handy sometimes too. Sometimes i'll sling one in the footbay to carry the toilet lid/tp/brush ammo can. You don't want the shitter tank ridin shotgun next to ya. Lotta people try to keep their footbay clear,but,lets face it,you're kinda limited for week longs with the SDPuma and you gotta make use of every inch in that thing most times. Depending on how many u are supporting. I think the most i've supported,was 3 for 7days in this boat. It's a great boat though...like a sportscar!

The ammo can system isn't the greatest system but works well. They sound a lil more lenient in the NW though so you could probably def. get away with something a lot less bulky. Eco-safe's work well for me though,i like how bomber they are and re-usable,acceptable anywhere(seems to be more an issue here in CO/ID/UT),etc...cleaning them out sucks but that's life...pray for more scat machines.
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #9

Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
PETT toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
If it's allowed on the rivers you plan to run check out the PETT toilet with WAG bags. You can put the waste in any size ammo can you want and the fold up toilet is light weight and really easy to stow. I use it for lots of shorter trips when I don't want to mess with tanks. Even if you choose to use a full size rocketbox for your poop, you won't need another for the lid, etc.

I use a dry bag for clean TP, chemicals, etc. since it can handle a little squishing.
The BLM on the Deschutes wont accept the PETT toilet. Rogue BLM will. Dunno about the others. As I've said on other threads, I'm a PETT toilet fan.
swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010   #10

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Can't find those 5 gallon bucket slings on Andy & Bax website. Help please.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote