groover for self support kayak trip? - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-12-2010   #1

Denver,, exhaustion
groover for self support kayak trip?

OK i'm sorry for not looking this up as i'm sure it's been talked about before...

Any recommendations for a self supported kayak trip groover?
sized for 3-4 people for 3 days.

hey and thanks for the info in advance.

Advertisement

Old 12-12-2010   #2

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Head to your home supply store and grab some PVC pipe. I believe the 4” fits into the RV dump stations. Get the fittings to thread both ends and glue it together. If you want to get fancy, get the fittings and plugs to attach one end to a garden hose.

To use, put your “deposits” onto a paper towel or coffee filter and drop into your PVC receptacle.

Cheap. Easy. Bomber.
teletoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Forget the hardware store, just head to your local boating shop and get a few Wag Bags. They're a whole lot easier to deal with.

Check the MB Partners Directory, see which shops are near you, and click through to their websites. In Denver I'm not sure if Confluence Kayaks has them but know for sure Downriver Equipment carries a similar type of portable toilet system that works well and would be real easy to pack out in a kayak.

For your group size you could probably do one per day and each paddler could carry one out (spread the goods around, ya know...).

Have a good trip!

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2010   #4

incline village, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2005
what river are you doing? if it is permited they may not accept just wag bags. for any utah river you have to have container that can reseal and is washable.
SNCrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010   #5

Groover

A 1gal paint can works well if you can fit it in your boat.
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010   #6

Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
I use an old plastic food container with screw on lid. Specifically an old protein powder jar. Can fit wag bags and some tp in it. Westwater ranger accepts it.. resealable, etc....
It fits fine, I dont worry about it breaking, basically the same size as the pvc option above, but molded pe with screw on top... designed to keep contents.. 'Fresh" !

as for size etc... depends what size food jar you use... what ever you figure is a good size for 3 user days... each take one, and throw one more in for good measure
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010   #7

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Some locations won't even allow you to bring WAG bags, even if you've got a reusable container. The worry is that you'll get to the takeout, and dump the wag bags into the dumpster, which then goes into the local landfill which may or may not be approved for human waste. Many different things (including paint cans, food jars, etc) may be allowed, depending on the ranger you get, but the PVC tubes are pretty well universally accepted- perhaps because of bigwallers in Yosemite, Zion, etc paving the way with the NPS.

I would avoid used polyethylene food containers, because I've seen how easily the lids (on most of them) break. Working in a deli, we went through tons of these things, and while the jars themselves are awesome, the lids are brittle.

I would also avoid WAG bags unless you put them inside another container- I've seen these things get poked and tear open on the river- definitely not easier to deal with when that happens.

Paint can sounds like a good idea. Do you just use a rock to reseal it? Does this cause denting, and thus, a loss structural integrity?

I'd stick with the PVC tube. Poop on a double layer of paper towel, fold up your present, and put it in the tube. At the end of the trip, empty the whole thing right out into the pit toilets. Our latest one was 4" PVC, ~16" long, and served 2 for a 6 day trip with room to spare.

Happy Grooving!
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I've used a 1 gallon large mouth container with wag bags and reinforced with ductape. I think the PVC option would be more bomber, but wag bags would be nice to throw it inside there...keeps a little cleaner, but you do run into the aforementioned problems based on the permit area. Happy pooping.
Cheers,
Ian
stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010   #9

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Interesting to hear what denali's got to say - I've had Westwater rangers send me on the river with Wag Bags for a group, and last season the BLM was passing them out on Pumphouse for a promo. Yes, it would be a good idea to contain them in something safer than just the bag.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010   #10
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Jackal_Of_Gnar View Post
Let's face it... The days of kayak overnighting are over. Any run you can't do in a day isn't worth doing (or you're just a wuss). What's the point of kayaking anyway if you can't gloat about it in the bar every night?

glenn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking