GoreTex socks - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-17-2009   #1

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
GoreTex socks

I came across these GoreTex socks and wondered if anyone has tried them or anything similar?
I'm thinking that if you wore them with a dry suit that had leg gaskets, they might work the same as a dry suit that had booties built in. My concern is that the gasket would not seal against the GoreTex the way it seals against your skin.
Any thoughts?

The picture didn't copy, so here is the link.
Annapolis Performance Sailing (APS) - Gore-Tex Socks - 13"

Rocky Gore-Tex Waterproof Socks
Black/Gray
Sizes: 5 - 14, Men's **

100% waterproof, durable and breathable, keeps water out and foot perspiration to escape. Lycra outer layer with Taslite insets in critical wear areas for abrasion resistance and long wear.

We sell the 13" socks that come up high on the leg for the best protection. Pair these with your favorite sailing shoes for the ultimate in wet shoe, dry foot comfort. Wear a non cotton sock liner for even more comfort of a insulated boot sock for greater warmth.

** - We highly recommend that you order a size up from your normal size if wearing them with a traditional sock, or two sizes up if you are planning on wearing with a bulky sock.

RK8013 Gore-Tex Socks - 13" Price: $51.95

Advertisement

Old 11-17-2009   #2

on the water, jersey
Paddling Since: 2008
gore-tex socks

Hi,
I unfortunately work retail on occasion, and my personal opinion on goretex socks are they are kind of a lot of money for a moderate pay back. Granted, this was before I had the kayaking "bug."

I think neoprene socks would work very well, and be a hell of a lot cheaper than $50. The good thing about gore-tex socks is they will keep your feet "dry" instead of wet like neoprene, but your feel might still be feel damp. It will not have the same seal on neoprene as it will to skin, but if that's the only component you are missing than it"s a hell of a lot cheaper than getting a drysuit. Anyway, that's my opinion. I've been doing retail too long. I hope it helped. You might want to think about getting a pair of liner socks to go underneath the goretex socks (wigwam theramax liner makes a nice one and they are around $5, bonus they are made in sheboygan, WI). This will give another layer between the water and your feet. I've been doing retail too long, and I'll be quiet now. Either way, good luck. If you get them please let us know how they work.

-Alexis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhyman View Post
I came across these GoreTex socks and wondered if anyone has tried them or anything similar?
I'm thinking that if you wore them with a dry suit that had leg gaskets, they might work the same as a dry suit that had booties built in. My concern is that the gasket would not seal against the GoreTex the way it seals against your skin.
Any thoughts?

The picture didn't copy, so here is the link.
Annapolis Performance Sailing (APS) - Gore-Tex Socks - 13"

Rocky Gore-Tex Waterproof Socks
Black/Gray
Sizes: 5 - 14, Men's **

100% waterproof, durable and breathable, keeps water out and foot perspiration to escape. Lycra outer layer with Taslite insets in critical wear areas for abrasion resistance and long wear.

We sell the 13" socks that come up high on the leg for the best protection. Pair these with your favorite sailing shoes for the ultimate in wet shoe, dry foot comfort. Wear a non cotton sock liner for even more comfort of a insulated boot sock for greater warmth.

** - We highly recommend that you order a size up from your normal size if wearing them with a traditional sock, or two sizes up if you are planning on wearing with a bulky sock.

RK8013 Gore-Tex Socks - 13" Price: $51.95
waterratNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009   #3

Jenks, Oklahoma
I do not know how well these Rocky socks work. It would be interesting to hear back from a lot of boaters if they work or not. I do see the Gore-Tex label on the socks and that usually indicates they are made with genuine Gore produced fabric.

I did buy the SealSkinz socks based on an advertisement that indicated they would keep water out.

SealSkinz socks did not work at all to keep water out for me. It was a total waste of money to buy them, at least for me.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2009   #4
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
I have the Rocky's and have used them for years. They are very well made. I put them on and then pull on my Black Rock dry pants and they keep my feets warm and dry.
Old 11-18-2009   #5

Colorado Springs, Colorado
I boat with Theo up there sometimes, and he has never had a complaint about them.

I use the Seal Skinz Waterblocker sock, thin and not bulky; VERY DRY and WARM. I wear them with my booties on, feels like a thin layerd sock, but it definately keeps the elements out. I've never had any problems with them.

Here's the link:
SealSkinz Water Blocker Waterproof sock with In Cuff Seal - AmazingSocks.com
Old 11-20-2009   #6

on the water, jersey
Sweet, that is good to know. thanks.

-Alexis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
I have the Rocky's and have used them for years. They are very well made. I put them on and then pull on my Black Rock dry pants and they keep my feets warm and dry.
waterratNE is offline   Reply With Quote