GoPro question - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-12-2012   #1

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
GoPro question

Question to all you GoPro users. If I spring for a GoPro, should I also get the LCD BacPac? I currently use a Kodak Playsport as my boat cam,but want something smaller & lighter for a helmet cam. I like that my Playsport has the built-in LCD view screen so I can check footage in camp, but the built-in screen makes this camera kind of heavy for a helmet cam. I wouldn't attach the LCD BacPac while filming, just in camp to check footage. If I have my iPod Touch along, could I just plug the GoPro into that to watch the footage????
Thanks Buzzards
KJ

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012   #2

Grand Junction, Colorado
I got the lcd pack and for what your wanting it for i would spring it for the convenience it doesnt make the cam much heavier good luck!
flipper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #3

Centennial, Colorado
I didn't get the lcd screen cause I'd just sit around camp watching footage and drain the battery and wouldnt be able to film the next day.
JerkmyBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012   #4

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
Even when I have my computer during car camping trips, I never end up checking the footage. I always wait until I get home. Sometimes I will offload it to my computer so I can clear space on the SD card but I rarely end up watching it until I'm ready to edit.

With that said, the LCD screen is probably going to be your best bet. You can also look at getting an SD card reader for your iPod Touch, but you need to have the free space to be able to transfer over the footage. Here is one card reader I found with a quick google search: zoomMediaPlus announces SD card reader for iPhone: Digital Photography Review
mdignan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #5

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
LCD is good for taking pictures and video not nessecary for the helmet cam cause your helmet is also moving so set it in a general place nd point it in a general direction
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #6

Uzbekibekistanstan, Mississippi
You could always buy a DC to AC power inverter (around $30) and watch the footage on your laptop, with a full charge ready for the next day.
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #7

Options

I'd forget about the screen, save the cash and just buy a few more SD cards and a spare battery.

If you fancy a go at some DIY mount options check out -

gopro | Search Results | Unsponsored – UK Kayaking
unsponsored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #8

Boise, Idahoer
Paddling Since: 2011
I'd suggest that you get the floaty door. My first GoPro is at the bottom of the Payette...
D-Sieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
You might also consider a contour camera. The waterproof case costs an extra 40$, but it's pretty bomber. I've had mine for a year now and it's low profile seems to keep it out of danger. Plus, from my experience it tends to float when it's locked in the waterproof case. Doesn't matter too much, because it has some tether points for small string or braided wire. The higher end models have a rotational lens so you can mount it upside-down or sideways and still adjust the footage to be right-side up. Finally my iPhone will sync to the camera so I can adjust the settings and see the image I'm about to shoot. Works ok, but I can't seem to get a great connection through the waterproof case and under water. It does offer a continuous photo mode and gps tracking. Dont know if the gopro offers those options or not.

Just some extra thoughts.
scottcsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012   #10

Leash

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Sieve View Post
I'd suggest that you get the floaty door. My first GoPro is at the bottom of the Payette...
You might want to consider a leash as well.

GoPro Leash | Unsponsored
unsponsored is offline   Reply With Quote