Good river chairs - not these - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-13-2010   #1

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
Good river chairs - not these

Most of the gear talk is for stuff in or on the water. The following is a review of an item used on land - the camp chair.

For years I used the trad fold up chairs from wherever,
like this. They work fine, are resonably comfortable, cheap, etc. ect.

This year I saw some chairs in home despot for half the price that a well known rafting outfitter sells them for. I was intrigued by the colapsible space saving design, mesh seats, yada, yada,

Much to my delight they were comfy, fit nicely in the dropbag and had pockets for the obligatory can of beer, pack of smokes, and ipod.
However they did not live up to the rigors of rafting as I had expected:

Sand - got into the collapsible legs making their unique design useless
Weight - need I say more... needs a weight limit sticker ~ 250lbs (tested and failed)
Ease of use - too many damm folding arms, legs, wings - more origami puzzle than chair

So, has anybody else had these problems? Anyone have any other favorites? Any to avoid?

Next trip, I think I'm going back to my old standby

oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2010   #2
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
la fuma

la fuma baby. they are pricey, but they are the shiznippity. i have had mine for 4 years ( lots of river days on it) now with no problems. the best feature is that you never have a wet chair again. the fabric comes right off the frame to go in your drybag. check it out. the worst chairs i have ever seen for the river are the PICO chairs. they collapse real sweet like until you get the smallest hinkering of sand in them. by the end of the grand those with PICO chairs were the spectacle of camp during open and close sessions. it became a 2 beer affair to open the thing. we turned it into a dance. do the PICO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! stomp, tug, stomp, tug
Old 07-14-2010   #3

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I tried a chair similar to the one shown above for two summers. it was a GSI or GCI??? can't remember. Looks a lot like the PICO only without the telescoping legs. It was light and folded up relatively small, but it fell apart by the end of the summer. Went through 3 chairs, all the same. No sturdy enough to handle the river. Thank goodness for REI's awesome return policy!
Now I use a Lafuma. It's light as a feather and very sturdy. Not as compact as the others, but easy to strap on my gear load on my 14 ft. cataraft. I also take a lounge lizard from time to time. Definitely heavy & bulky, but worth all the effort in total comfort in camp. Folks will give you shit for bringing it, but when your back is turned, they're asleep in your lizard. The Travelchair brand is expenseive, just buy the Cabelas knock-off.
I bought a hammock this season, and have been bringing it instead of the lizard this summer. Very comfy, but requires the right tree configuration to use it. Packs down very small though.
Biggest piece of advice is to not "plop" in any chair you bring on the river. Plopping = busted chairs, especially the cheap camp chairs.
Happy Sitting
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2010   #4
Come and open the gate

denver, Colorado
i also use the traditional cheap fold up chairs like this

when the pins break or the fabric rips, i just fix it with duct tape, a little redneck, but it works. great chairs for around camp.

on another chair related note...

i just bought one of these to sit on while rowing.

ive always used crazy creek chairs before, but i lost mine in a flip, needed a replacement, and found this at the surplus store. about 2" of padding, adjustable side straps just like a crazy creek, and it also has 2 adjustable buckle straps on the bottom to attach it to the cooler/frame/etc...
stribtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010   #5

Gardnerville, Nevada
Yea, my old trad cheepo fold up chair has served me well over the years, and has plenty of duck tape on it. I was hesitant to try something new.

One of the best things about the old chair is the trick beer holder. Trick, as in it has a hole in the bottom. Many times people just seem to sit in someone elses chair, even if it's obvious that they didn't bring theirs along. Well I don;t know how many times this has happened to me, someone plops down in my ratty old thing and promptly decides to put their beer in the holder, sit back and relax. I usually just wait until the beer falls thru and then politely tell them, "oh be careful, my chair has a hole in it".

Come to think of it, I'm going to put my ratty old thing back in the gear pile.... It's not much to look at, but it sure provides lots of chuckles
Old 07-14-2010   #6

Sandy, Utah
So..... while we're on the subject, let's discuss river camp chair etiquette shall we. If you didn't bring a chair on the trip, do not sit in someone else's chair without at least asking first. Not cool. If you brought your cheapo chair and busted it by plopping in it at the first camp, don't think it's ok to sit in someone else's chair the rest of the trip. Not cool. If all you brought is a crazy creek chair, then use it. Please don't wait until I get up to get a soda or beer from the cooler and sit yourself down in my chair. Not cool. And lastly.... do not give me shit about hauling my big, heavy lounge lizard down the river, and then let me find you asleep in it. Not cool, and you might wake up with your toenails painted an interesting color!
Nuff said.
KJ
Old 07-14-2010   #7

West of Boulder, CO
Paddling Since: 1996
Amen Cataraftgirl! The worst part is when you hover nearby your hijacked chair, only to receive oblivious looks from the hijacker.
dogalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010   #8
Come and open the gate

denver, Colorado
would you guys not just tell the chair stealer to get up after a minute or two?
stribtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010   #9

Sandy, Utah
Yes I'll say something if the not so subtle hints don't work. Especially if the hijacker is in my lounger. But somehow asking them to get out of your chair always seems to make the chair owner look like a heartless jerk. Why is that? I have had people be so bold as to not bring a chair for themselves, and then try to invoke the 5 minute rule. The stupid rule that says if you're out of your chair for more than 5 minutes, it's fair game. What's up with that???? Bring your own dang chair, and get your sorry butt outta mine.
KJ
Old 07-14-2010   #10

Gardnerville, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
So..... while we're on the subject, let's discuss river camp chair etiquette shall we. If you didn't bring a chair on the trip, do not sit in someone else's chair without at least asking first. Not cool. If you brought your cheapo chair and busted it by plopping in it at the first camp, don't think it's ok to sit in someone else's chair the rest of the trip. Not cool. If all you brought is a crazy creek chair, then use it. Please don't wait until I get up to get a soda or beer from the cooler and sit yourself down in my chair. Not cool. And lastly.... do not give me shit about hauling my big, heavy lounge lizard down the river, and then let me find you asleep in it. Not cool, and you might wake up with your toenails painted an interesting color!
Nuff said.
KJ

Quite right! Nothing like a lounge lizard sneaking into your chair, next thing you know they'll be in your sleeping bag, on your raft, god knows where else.

My beer can deterrent works good, although a whoopi cushion or a wet chair also works.

Next week - groover ettiquite! When you got to go and there's some jerk reading the paper.... Stay tuned