Go Pro battery questions - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-19-2012   #1

subaru, down by the river
Paddling Since: 2003
Go Pro battery questions

I'm getting a Go Pro Hero2 for a 21 day Grand Trip. What would be a good solar charger that would work if any? I was looking at the: Solar Powered Rechargeable External Battery Pocket Charger, or should I just by extra batteries? Never used a Go Pro before any suggestions would be much appreciated!

turtle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Either take a couple extras or the charger.. You can also turn the blinking light off for power saving
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #3

Buy the Chinese knockoff batteries from Amazon, I think they are only about $9 each.
Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012   #4

Steamboat, Colorado
I just got one of these:

Guide 10 Plus Mobile Kit - Goal Zero | Portable Solar Power

Seems pretty sweet and charged my GoPro in about a little over 2 hours on my deck. I like how they have the battery pack in addition to charging your device directly. Then you can then use the batteries to charge things or use them for something like your headlamp. Also they state it is water/snow/weather resistant so it seems like it should do the trick. No real first hand use yet but it seems solid.
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #5

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
For my February trip I assumed that I would not have solar power available, so I picked up an 18 Ah sealed battery, a 12v AC inverter / USB charger and a pelican case to contain it all. Most of the camera batteries and GoPro came in at something around 700-1000 mAh, meaning that I had around 10-13 charges off the master battery, depending on transfer efficiency, which I ballparked at 70%.

This system weighed around 8lbs and worked great. I think I spent a total of $130 on the system. ($40 battery, $70 case, $20 inverter) If I were to do it again, I'd pull out a solar panel for the sunny days to keep the master charged up, but I didn't need it for our 20 day trip.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #6

Hagerstown, Maryland
GoPros are awesome, ours arrives tomorrow, and I hope you don't mind my asking:

Do you plan on getting the upgrade memory card with the gold tips? I hear it makes a big difference in video quality (which confuses me, honestly, since it's digital), and that EVERYONE who takes a GoPro out to water goes ahead and upgrades. I was wondering if you'd heard something similar, or if I'm just hearing things?
JohnsonJZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #7

Steamboat, Colorado
I was told to get true HD and longest record time get a SDHC class 10, 32 gig. Their site seems to say the same thing:

SanDisk 32GB SD Memory Card (Class 10)

That's the one thing I did not pay attention to was they do not come with a memory card, so ran around trying to find one. Looked to me you would be spending $40 at least for a class 6 which is needed for HD and for 30 bucks was worth it for me to upgrade. It looks like I will get close to 3-4 hours battery dependent of 1920x1080 and have been impressed so far.
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #8

subaru, down by the river
Paddling Since: 2003
Thanks everyone for the input, think I'm gonna get the meomory card kayakfreakus suggested. The Goal Zero guide 10 seems like the best solar charger available as well. I'm gonna do a little more research though, maybe just buy extra batteries and plan on charging up at Phantom Ranch. Another question is for taking still photos do you need to get the bacpac LCD screen to see what your taking a photo of?
turtle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #9

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I use a New Trent portable charger for my Nook & iPod. Not sure if it would work for the GoPro, but it works with most anything with a USB or mini-USB port. I can get multiple full charges for the Nook and iPod off of it. Something like this and at least one spare battery should do the trick.
I looked at getting a solar charger before I decided on the New Trent. The Goal Zero and Brunton seemed to be good choices, but in the end I didn't want to deal with a solar charger. I wanted something smaller & easy.
I'm thinking about getting a GoPro also. i currently use a Kodak Playsport HD camera. I like it a lot, but it's a bit heavier than the GoPro and doesn't have all the mounting options. I just checked my SD card in my Kodak and it's only a class 4, guess I should upgrade !!!!!
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #10

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
The gold plating doesn't make a lick of difference, just like it doesn't matter on your HDMI cable, either. What does matter is the class of the card, which is the speed at which the card can accept and write data coming from the camera. GoPro recommends class 4 or above for the previous HD and it works out great. While you can run a Class 10, it won't matter.

If you are going for the 32 Gb card, be aware that you will never fill that on a single battery. The battery lasts about 2 hours of record time (best case), which is around 12 Gb (12 Gb = 1 Gb/10 min * 120 min) .
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote