Glue for foam on dry box - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-15-2012   #1

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Glue for foam on dry box

What do you folks use to glue your ethafoam to your dry boxes? I've been using 3M spray adhesive, but I'm having issues with it giving out after one season. It seems to dry out over time and with water exposure, and then the foam just peels off. I do bevel the edges of my foam to prevent the edges from getting caught and lifted. I'm thinking about Gorilla Glue. Anyone try that? Any other ideas?
Thanks Buzzards

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2012   #2

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl
What do you folks use to glue your ethafoam to your dry boxes? I've been using 3M spray adhesive, but I'm having issues with it giving out after one season. It seems to dry out over time and with water exposure, and then the foam just peels off. I do bevel the edges of my foam to prevent the edges from getting caught and lifted. I'm thinking about Gorilla Glue. Anyone try that? Any other ideas?
Thanks Buzzards
Old school shore adhesive from a hypalon patch kit. Going strong on my buddies box. Didnt abraid the aluminum either - just cleaned it. V Probably compatible with the existing spray adhesive on your foam.
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012   #3
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Shore adhesive works well. Use ventilation. Sand the top a little, clean, apply shore, stick foam on, turn upside down, set something heavy on top of the bottom. The next day you can remove the weight, flip the box back over and trim the edges to the bevel of your liking. Voila! You are good to go until the foam wears out again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2012   #4
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
No a fan of the ethafoam but I use good ole contact cemtent on my closed cell foam. I have one going on five years. The foam is getting worn out and I will have a tough time getting it off to put new on again.

Through my real job I have actually taken some classes on adhesives and super 77 or the other 3m spray adhesives all use a form of latex as the binder. Or so they tell me.
Latex and the rubber component of it always break over time. With ethafoam's more porous construction it seems that it could be happening more quickly. I know they have had to change the formulations of some of the adhesives to still be able to ship. Not sure if they did with super 77. I do still use this adhesive on some temporary jobs.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012   #5
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I had the same issues with 3M 77 spray. I then tried using several cans to get better cover on the foam side and it still came off. After that I switched to regular ol' CONTACT CEMENT, which is less costly and has not failed after several seasons. Put it on with a cheap paint brush, two coats on the metal and several coats on the foam side to get good cover. Let it set up and get tacky between coats, in addition to letting final coat set up and get tacky before sticking the foam to the box. Then put some weight on it to press it down and let it sit overnight. I used a piece of plywood with some propane cylinders, a toolbox, a cinder block, etc. that I had laying around.
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012   #6

Sandy, Utah
Thanks guys. The 3M 77 spray is what I've been using, and I'm really not happy with it. I have roughed up the surface of the boxes and cleaned them well before application, and it still doesn't seem to hold or last very well. My buddy used it on his boxes many years ago and they are still going strong, so maybe C-Dog is on to something with a change in formulation??
Has anyone used Gorilla Glue? I have some that I could use if it will work. I says on the label that it's good for foam, and waterproof.
Old 07-15-2012   #7
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Gorilla Glue

It's you're call, but I decided not to use Gorilla Glue because it "foams up" during the curing process. I've used it on furniture, woodworking, etc., but you have to wet the pieces, apply minimal amount, then clean off the excess that beads/foams out. I wasn't sure how this would react on the ethafoam so went with Contact Cement and never looked back.
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012   #8

Sandy, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJ View Post
It's you're call, but I decided not to use Gorilla Glue because it "foams up" during the curing process. I've used it on furniture, woodworking, etc., but you have to wet the pieces, apply minimal amount, then clean off the excess that beads/foams out. I wasn't sure how this would react on the ethafoam so went with Contact Cement and never looked back.
Thanks. That's what I was wondering.
Old 07-15-2012   #9

NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
I would advise against that, I tried it and it didn't work any longer then one season. But getting the dried glue off is impossible, ended up sanding it off the top of the box. That ened my experment with glues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
Thanks guys. The 3M 77 spray is what I've been using, and I'm really not happy with it. I have roughed up the surface of the boxes and cleaned them well before application, and it still doesn't seem to hold or last very well. My buddy used it on his boxes many years ago and they are still going strong, so maybe C-Dog is on to something with a change in formulation??
Has anyone used Gorilla Glue? I have some that I could use if it will work. I says on the label that it's good for foam, and waterproof.
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012   #10

Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2004
I used Weldwood Red Can. It is holding strong, but after one river trip that is hardly a glowing endorsement. I have used it on foam in kayaks and canoes for years without issue, so I expect it will stand up to some use.

Kyle
Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote