Getting Thirsty - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-19-2011   #1

Severna Park, Maryland
Getting Thirsty

For a school project, some friends and I need to prove that during whitewater sports and other water sports thirst is a large inconvenience and that a CamelBak is also inconvenient to use when you have a PFD on. Answering these three quick questions would be very helpful. Thanks!

Do you carry a water bottle when you are kayaking, rafting, ect.?

Is it an inconvenience to pull of to the side of a river or put your paddle down to hydrate?

Would you consider investing in a product that solves this in an inexpensive way?

Ronkujr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2011   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Yes, I carry a water bottle.

No, it's not an inconvenience to pull it out and get a drink. It only takes a second, and I'm usually not in a rush.

No, water bottles work fine for me. I don't see the need to purchase a product to replace them.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011   #3

Severna Park, Maryland
Would you say the same if you were out the majority of the day and you needed more than one water bottle and had no place to fill one up? Or if you you were paddling strong currents/rapids and couldn't reach for a drink?
Ronkujr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2011   #4

Copper Mountain, Colorado
Filtered water bottles. If there is no place to pull over, drinking is the least of my concerns.
Cphilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011   #5

Jenks, Oklahoma
What Imyers said.

By the time I load up with throw bag, spare paddle, pin kit, first aid, lunch, extra fleece and the list goes on, the last thing I need is another bit of gear. A standard water bottle in the cockpit holder works fine and if more is needed clip in another one behind the seat.
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011   #6

Jenks, Oklahoma
And yes, I would feel the same way after Ronkujr's second troll question.
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronkujr View Post
Would you say the same if you were out the majority of the day and you needed more than one water bottle and had no place to fill one up? Or if you you were paddling strong currents/rapids and couldn't reach for a drink?
Saturday I was on the water for 5 hrs, and instead of an extra water bottle I filled my boat with PBR.....7 of them in-fact.....so you see, an extra water bottle or 2 is nothing.....and this is a whitewater forum, everyone here is running rapids, if you don't have the skills to pop your skirt and get a drink, then you catch an eddy...or go to the lake.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011   #8
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
I pretty much only drink at the take out. PBR in the American red, white, and blue can. My Stohlquist Descent PFD has a handy beer can holder built in...if its' only water I must drink I use a water bottle holder.
Old 09-19-2011   #9

Glen Vegas, Florida
Paddling Since: 92
I drink right out of the river.
Pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011   #10

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Might be more of a sea-kayaking thing, but I've seen PFDs with small camelbaks built in.
Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote