Getting Started - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-01-2007   #1

Longmont, Colorado
Getting Started

Hi.

I'm new to kayaking (well if you don't count two or three river trips in Oregon). Currently live in Boulder, CO and was looking for a boat and places to go. I am 5' 9'' 190lbs and saw an ad for a Dagger RPM. Read great reviews but am wondering if I'm too heavy for this boat. Also wondering some places to start in or near Boulder once I get some session in on the lake. Boat question more important to have answered at this point. Thanks for the help. Happy paddling!

Guy

guy_ragnetti@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2007   #2
gh

pnw, Colorado
What would you like to do in the boat? Are you cash constrained that you have to buy used? I could never get comfy in an RPM.
Old 07-02-2007   #3

Longmont, Colorado
No, not really cash constrained. Just didn't want to invest too much in something I'm just trying out. thought used might be a good way to go. But maybe not. What would you recommend for my frame. I'm probably going to just be using it in the Boulder Reservoir while I learn rolls and paddling. Then work my way up to Boulder creek. In the long run I probably want to do mostly river running with some surfing and maybe squirting. Don't see myself doing much more than that. Just looking for a starter boat I won't outgrow in a year. So, any more advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2007   #4

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
I don't know about the rest of you but I found a cheap package on craigslist that had all the requirements to learn, boat (Centrifuge), paddle, helmet(s), boodies(s), splash jacket, pfd and some other misc. stuff for $450. I have upgraded some of the equipment, dry top, broke the paddle so I bought a AT-3 and other misc stuff, but it was a great way to get into the sport. I'm about your size and from what your saying a Centrifuge may fit you and your needs pefectly for a reasonable used price.
Old 07-02-2007   #5

Longmont, Colorado
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like you got a lot for $475. Where did you find that deal, craiglist? Maybe I should wait. This guy wants $375 for boat, snapdragon skirt, werner paddle and float bags. So is the ultrafuge more of a playboat and the RPM is more beginner? I'm definitely a beginner and heard the RPM rolls real easily (a plus).
Old 07-02-2007   #6

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like you got a lot for $475. Where did you find that deal, craiglist? Maybe I should wait. This guy wants $375 for boat, snapdragon skirt, werner paddle and float bags. So is the ultrafuge more of a playboat and the RPM is more beginner? I'm definitely a beginner and heard the RPM rolls real easily (a plus).
I just watched denver craigslist > for sale / wanted: search for "kayak" for about a month until I found a deal I liked.

I have never paddled the ultrafuge but it looks like a smaller version of my centrifuge so I would be somewhat concerned if it was large enough for you, I believe you can find it on the dagger website and it will tell you the size suggestions. Honestly I don't know how good of a beginner boat the centrifuge is, all I can say is it seems to have worked for me. I havn't had problems rolling it, seems to be an ok river runner and an ok surfer. I believe it was designed as a river runner/squirt boat, the tips are VERY slicey.

375 sounds like an OK deal depending of course on how beat up the equipment is. Just keep in mind all the other stuff you have to have to boat, namely a helmet and pfd.
Old 07-02-2007   #7

Metro Area, Colorado
you should buy used for sure! even if you know that you are going to love the sport, your boat is going to take a beating while it accompanies you through your learning curve. buy a used boat, beat the s*** out of it, then when you are ready, spend the cash and buy a new boat. also, at that time you will have a much better idea of what kind/type boat you are looking for.

how you fit in the boat is important, but i also believe if you can find a good deal on a used package, just take it! you can outfit any boat to help fit better (although sometimes certain boats you just aren't going to fit into well). the package you mentioned above sounds great.

just get the gear and get out there!

good luck!
cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007   #8

Longmont, Colorado
oops. Meant centrifuge. Yeah, it all starts to add up that's for sure.
Old 07-02-2007   #9

syracuse, New York
Paddling Since: 1
I have been paddling a rpm for a year. Im 5'11'' 190,36 waist.
I had longer foot pegs installed and the boat fits me great.
If you can be comfortable in the rpm I highly recommend it
for a first boat. Great river runner,surfer and easy to roll.
I have only paddled in new york and canada but great for
class II-IV. Daggar mamba is a great river runner if you can
find one used for a good price. Good luck,mike
syracuse kayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007   #10
gh

pnw, Colorado
ok, its just me but if a friend was asking me i wouldnt recommend the rpm or centrifuge. i would keep shopping and the cheapest pkg isnt always the best if you get in the gear and dont like it.