Getting gear past footpegs - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-04-2018   #1

Salem, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Getting gear past footpegs

Hi All,

So I've got a Jackson Karma that I am looking to start doing some multi days out of this year. I would like to help balance the weight distribution and utilize the enormous amount of space in front of my footpegs by stashing some gear forward there.

The footpegs are easy to get off, but Jackson has this non-removable plastic piece that provides support for the footplates, and I am having difficulty getting even a 10L dry bag past it.

Anyone meet and overcome this challenge? How do you guys get gear past those pesky footplate supports?

Advertisement

Old 03-04-2018   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Varies a little by year and which version of karma, but for the WW version:

kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Don't know if it would work for the Karma, but I removed the bulkhead from my Ethos and installed footpeg rails for that reason.
Infidien is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2018   #4

Salem, Oregon
Thanks guys. I've seen the video. Getting the footpegs out isn't the issue.

My problem is that once the footpegs are out, I still am having a hard time getting stuff past the plastic rest that the footpegs/plates are supported by. Every video I've seen where someone is packing a Jackson Kayak also says to just move stuff past the footpegs, but cuts out and doesn't show anyone actually doing it. My guess is that it is not so easy. There certainly isn't more than 3 inches of clearance in any direction so we are talking about small bits of gear.

I'll have to explore the footpeg rails as an option. Thanks Infidien.
Old 03-06-2018   #5

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by UriahJones View Post
I'll have to explore the footpeg rails as an option. Thanks Infidien.
It probably doesn't need to be said, so I'll say it: removing a bulkhead could affect the structural integrity of the boat, especially in a pin situation.
Infidien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018   #6

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Thanks guys. I've seen the video. Getting the footpegs out isn't the issue.

My problem is that once the footpegs are out, I still am having a hard time getting stuff past the plastic rest that the footpegs/plates are supported by. Every video I've seen where someone is packing a Jackson Kayak also says to just move stuff past the footpegs, but cuts out and doesn't show anyone actually doing it. My guess is that it is not so easy.
Not sure I am getting what you are describing, at 1:29 he removes the plastic support by pulling it out/away. Are you saying that you have no space after removing that or cannot remove it as the video shows? I'd call Jackson, bet they can walk you through it.
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018   #7

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Thanks guys......
My problem is that once the footpegs are out, I still am having a hard time getting stuff past the plastic rest that the footpegs/plates are supported by.
I have a medium sized friend use a large karma for a 5 day self support trip.
After 2 days faffing about every morning in the bow of the boat, he finally figured out that lots of small individual items was the way to go. Everything else in the rear.

That and he needed to extend his bungee chords so he didn't have to re-thread the foam every time.
desertSherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018   #8

Salem, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertSherpa View Post
I have a medium sized friend use a large karma for a 5 day self support trip.
After 2 days faffing about every morning in the bow of the boat, he finally figured out that lots of small individual items was the way to go. Everything else in the rear.

That and he needed to extend his bungee chords so he didn't have to re-thread the foam every time.
This confirms my experience in my living room. I already had extended the bungees in anticipation of that difficulty.

As I said, getting the footpegs out is no issue. But there is still a plastic support that the footplate rests against that is part of the bulkhead and doesn't come out. Getting gear past this support is difficult at best.

I'm thinking small envelope style bags stacked in front is the way around this problem. I just wish that there was a hinged placed on that support piece so that it could be folded forward and then, vwallah! Slide a 15L bag into each side of the bulkhead and no hassle.
Old 03-06-2018   #9

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
The other stragegy in that boat was put the Watershed / triangular stow-float into the boat, then put items into the stow float.
desertSherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018   #10

Salem, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertSherpa View Post
The other stragegy in that boat was put the Watershed / triangular stow-float into the boat, then put items into the stow float.
Yes, I have those bags. They work great But my issue was trying to get some gear into the front of the boat.

Also, with the Large Karma at least I was able to easily get the bags fully loaded into the rear by simply moving the seat all the way forward before inserting the bags.