FYI - Micro Pelican Cases - not waterproof - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-08-2009   #1

Erie, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
FYI - Micro Pelican Cases - not waterproof

I'm sure most of you probably read the fine print and descriptions on cases you depend on, but I found out the hard way over the weekend. The micro pelican cases do indeed take on water when submerged - specifically the 1010 in my case. iPhone = iDead now.

Take it for what its worth but i suggest if you still use these cases to put them in a watershed bag or something else.

CUBuffskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2009   #2

Fort Collins, Colorado
I had the same problem with mine for my camera

Take it into REI and exchange it...tell them it is no longer waterproof and they should take care of it

Sorry to hear about the IPOD
Old 09-08-2009   #3

Indian Hills, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUBuffskier View Post
I'm sure most of you probably read the fine print and descriptions on cases you depend on, but I found out the hard way over the weekend. The micro pelican cases do indeed take on water when submerged - specifically the 1010 in my case. iPhone = iDead now.

Take it for what its worth but i suggest if you still use these cases to put them in a watershed bag or something else.
uh oh...swim?
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2009   #4
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUBuffskier View Post
The micro pelican cases do indeed take on water when submerged - specifically the 1010 in my case. iPhone = iDead now.
That sucks. Thanks, you've probably saved me a phone. I was about to use one of those cases for that very purpose.
Old 09-08-2009   #5

little rock, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 1978
I don't know just how waterproof it is, but Otter Box is making a box for the I-phone which even allows full use of the touch screen. Either of these items is on my short list.

See here; iPhone 3G/3GS Cases and Accessories // iPhone 3G / 3GS Defender Case // OtterBox.com

Bob aka Bob
Old 09-08-2009   #6

Erie, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
had it behind the seat in a ducky - taking my folks down grizzley to two rivers over the weekend

got submerged once at most through a small wave
CUBuffskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009   #7

Golden, Colorado
Considering how expensive Pelican cases are, it is a bit ridiculous that they are not waterproof.

I got a similar lesson this season when I clipped my little Pelican case into my raft in a spot that had the box on the floor with lots of water hitting it. I was pretty pissed to see my phone was wet when I opened it up. I think I can get a "splash proof" box a lot cheaper than a Pelican.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
The little micro case can't take immersion as the poster unfortunately found out. Standard (larger) pelican cases are watertight, and I've had no problem with them leaking. Many boaters cary cameras and video gear in larger pelican cases without a problem.

The weak link in any pelican case is the rubber ring gasket seal. Anything that messes with the seal will cause it to leak. I've seen folks accidentally get a small part of a lens cloth over the gasket and cause the case to leak. Its not always easy to tell that the case doesn't have a good seal, so you have to be very careful to keep the gasket clear.

One other ramdom thought is that its very easy to get moisture in pelican cases while on the river, and that can be tough on cameras. You can put some of those dessicant pouches you find in miscellaneous items in the case to help soak up moisture.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009   #9
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
Pelican

The smaller the drybox the harder it is to stay dry. Here's what Pelican recomends: Before you thrown something expensive in the box test it out. Put a piece of dry paper inside the box, fill up you kiten sink and hold it under water. Wipe off the outside and check the paper inside. If it's wet return it and try another box.

The little boxes only take a tiny gap to fail, but they have the smallest compression seal as well. They will have more failures than the larger cases, w/ larger O-rings. And, never over fill the box. If it is tough to close in any way, it will not stay dry.
Old 09-08-2009   #10

Weyers Cave, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2001
Send a message via AIM to Slunk
I've always run a wet finger over the o-rings in my various water tight cases before using them. I have not had any unwanted moisture in my otterboxs when employing this method.
Slunk is offline   Reply With Quote