Full Face Helmets for Mini Mellons - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-15-2011   #1
Abides.

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Full Face Helmets for Mini Mellons

Hey All

I'm looking into full face helmets online and the options seem pretty limited. I've found shred ready and sweet protection, both of which are going to be too big; even if I pad the hell out of them. I have a small mellon...small enough that I can often wear kids helmets. Anybody know any brands or shops that might be able to help??

TheDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2011   #2

Columbus, Indiana
have you tried the shred ready standard full face on?

I've got one (I have a HUGE head), and my wife has one (she has a really really tiny head). With the padding included, you should be able to fit correctly. The range of sizes that helmet fits is really wide. I just can't immagine an adult having a head too small for one with it fully padded out.

I'd just go to a kayak shop near you, and try on as much s you can. You should be able to find one. Just have to try them on.
seedubs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011   #3

x, x
Paddling Since: x
cascade lacrosse helmets were the norm. back in the day. A ton of people wore them and they work really well. they have helmets down to xxs and you cand find them at a sporting goods store and used at play it again sports.

they have a plastic shell and a foam liner, before you say nah, and put it back have someone smash you in the head while you are wearing the helmet. it is a GREAT helmet. you will not be disappointed.

feel free to thumb through crc and crc2 you will see lots of them.

also the voss helmet might fit, but good luck finding one.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2011   #4

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
On the lacrosse helmet thing, the new Easton helmet is sick.
Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011   #5
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
have tried WRSI ? they're good helmets and comparatively affordable.

but- kinda like tim tebow, politics and the grateful dead, they are very polarizing. People seem to either Love em or hate em. and the full face has had mixed reviews too. I have had the regular one since it came out. SAFE... thats what they are about to me.good impact resistance and they stay on your head securely.
=]
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011   #6
Abides.

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Thanks everyone for the info! I'm checking out those different options... @seedub, I swim in the ShredReady. I would need A LOT of padding. I'm THAT tiny...I even paddle a kids boat =P

So new question. Opinions using a snowsports full face helmet?? I found a Giro that actually fit my head.
TheDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011   #7

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeb View Post
Thanks everyone for the info! I'm checking out those different options... @seedub, I swim in the ShredReady. I would need A LOT of padding. I'm THAT tiny...I even paddle a kids boat =P

So new question. Opinions using a snowsports full face helmet?? I found a Giro that actually fit my head.
Curious to see the response to this question. I'm also a "mini melon." My XSmall Giro ski helmet fits me really well. I'm a rafter so I don't always have a helmet on, or need a full face. I have a WRSI junior helmet, and it's still not as good a fit or as comfortable as the Giro ski helmet.

KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011   #8
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I would make sure it's multi-impact and it has a really solid occipital band since water forces tend be more likely to slide the helmet back on the head. If it meets those requirements, I suspect that it will work. Sweet for instance makes a full face and the snow and water versions are almost identical.

Disclaimer: I'm not a helmet expert so don't trust your mini melon to my advice.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011   #9

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Do any of the local stores have the cascade kayak helmets in stock? They have 4 sizes.
Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011   #10
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeb View Post

I know of a handful of dirtbag patroller and tele'rs that wore their paddling helmet skiing, but never seen the opposite. winter helmets have all the soft plush crap, fabric liner vents, and earpads, and the foam may not be closed cell, so it might soak up water. (might work great though....idk.. as KSC said...not an expert, but like everyone else, been wearing lots o helmets for a long time.)

I would call or visit CKS. they are knowledgeable on different brands, and they're open year round.

also last shameless plug... WRSI has kids/small sizes. they have a header on the their website pricing for schools and camps. they also have an add on face protection that snaps into any of their helmets. so you dont have to have two helmets. but that it is potentially 'breakaway' is the source of debate ( at least it was on teh buzz) could save your neck and face(at least once) or it could be useless.
I do know that I have had my WRSI since 2006 and It has treated me well. and I have clacked my head pretty good a few times. mine is an older model that doesnt accept the snap on, so I am due for an upgrade in that respect.

WRSI Safety | Whitewater Helmets | Ski and Snowboard Helmets | Rescue Gear
abron is offline   Reply With Quote