From hero to zen - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-21-2017   #1

gainesboro, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 2015
From hero to zen

So I got a new lg zen and found out it is so much harder to roll than my hero. Any reason why? I figured it would be easier due to being a bigger boat. About me I am 5"11 180/185lbs 34 waist with 10.5 shoe. Help me understand this.

cllowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2017   #2
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by cllowe View Post
So I got a new lg zen and found out it is so much harder to roll than my hero. Any reason why? I figured it would be easier due to being a bigger boat. About me I am 5"11 180/185lbs 34 waist with 10.5 shoe. Help me understand this.
I don't see why a larger boat would translate to being easier to roll. It depends on your roll, but generally it has more to due with width, edges and parting line. What part of the roll are you getting hung up on? Main takeaway would be that it's revealing weaknesses in your roll. I would put more focus on that.
KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017   #3

Boise, Idaho
The Zen shouldn't be harder to roll than the Hero, which was a very hard boat to roll.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2017   #4

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
mostly head games:
Rolling debate continues. Check out the question, and EJ’s answer… |
desertSherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017   #5

gainesboro, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
The Zen shouldn't be harder to roll than the Hero, which was a very hard boat to roll.
funny to me the hero is super easy :-/ I dunno.
Old 05-22-2017   #6

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertSherpa View Post
Make sure to read this link. It really is mostly mental.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017   #7

gainesboro, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertSherpa View Post
Make sure to read this link. It really is mostly mental.
i did super good info. Plan on getting back out this afternoon, can't wait to see the results.
Old 05-23-2017   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by cllowe View Post
Improve your roll. Perhaps purchasing Kent Ford's "The Kayak Roll" video, and using your own camera to capture your roll technique will help you focus on the weak points of your roll.

A poor carpenter blames his tools.
Old 07-15-2017   #9

Truckee, California
Zen Rolling

I have a med Zen and I have had boats that are easier to roll and harder to roll. The boat shape does make a difference. But as noted in the other responses - good technique is the key to rolling any boat. For river running, big water surfing and the sort - I really enjoy my Zen.
TGGSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017   #10

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
I'm thinking it might be that you haven't located the set to it's sweet shot for you yet. It does matter with goes a boat performs and rolls. Example: A friend struggled with rolling his Super Hero. I asked him to attend a pool session so I could observe. Sure enough, the boat didn't even feel stable to him just sitting in it and truly resisted rolling smoothly. I observed that his stein was low and I asked what experimenting he had tried with seat position. He looked at me puzzling. I had him get out and we moved the seat a but 2" or something forward. He got in and immediately looked more stable, able tho relax, and had new joy and cofidence just testing stability. Then he gave it a roll. It was easy. But, I thought it still looked like we could ger it better yet. So, after another 1/2" forward it proved almost effortless for him to roll and was so relaxed and stable on edge. You know it carved and performed excellent then too.