Freeride 67, 2010 4 Fun, andFuse 64....which is most stable for rr cl 3,3+ at 200lbs? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 12-01-2011   #1

Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
Freeride 67, 2010 4 Fun, andFuse 64....which is most stable for rr cl 3,3+ at 200lbs?

Thanks for any info on this comparision,

Jimmy..

JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2011   #2

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I would strongly recommend staying away from this entire class of boats. You just can't do anything with them, they suck for playing and suck for running anything over III+. If you've already got your roll and think you'll be good at this sport, just go straight for a playboat. I happen to think the 2010 SuperStar would be the best single choice for a class III minded aggressive beginner. Any of these, you will grow out of in less than 1 season. Just ask OneLeggedWonder or LanceDawg on here.

Or if you think you'll be creeking focused instead of playboating then go straight to a real creeker, like a Jefe, Nomad, etc

That said, Freeride 67 would be my choice.
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011   #3

Northern Utah, Utah
Any of the three boats will be great for rr cl III. Also consider a classic 4Fun (07-09 model). It's a bit less playful than the current 4Fun, but perhaps a better river runner (bobber). I use a SuperFun (250lbs+) for most everyting I do. Class II-IV runs, from shallow rocky runs to big volume runs and everything in between.

The kayaks don't excel at any one thing, but that's part of what makes them great. If you're looking for a good all around boat that does a little bit of everything, any of the boats you listed will be great. If you try them all out you'll decide on one that fits your perference (outfitting, volume, general fit, etc).

A playboat can make class III run more fun, or more difficult. A full on river runner or creeker can make class III a lot easier, or absolutely boring. It all depends on your perspective and skills.

If you're looking to step up your game quickly and move on to more playboating or more creeking then eklars advice is right on.

If you want a boat that can do most everything, then you won't go wrong with any of the boat choices you listed.

The volume is different for each boat and that can make a difference. The higher the volume the more forgiving (stable) it will likely be, but the harder to play in, though volume is not the only factor that affects those two characteristics.

Classic 4Fun: 61.75 gal
2010 4Fun: 63 gal
Fuse64: 64 gal
FreeRide67: 67 gal
SuperFun: 70 gal
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2011   #4

Enfield, New Hampshire
Re above posts

FMZ, isnt the classic series the 2004-2007 boats? I paddled the 2004 Superfun for a long time and loved it. Sold it to get a ducky, and have regretted it, but cannot find another 04 SF anywhere cheap. I thought that class of boats did fine for most stuff an average boater wanted to do.Not having paddled any of the boats I am asking about, how would each compare to the 04 SuperFun?

Thanks for the opinions from both the above posts.

JIMM
JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
A Jackson Fun Runner 70 sounds like the boat that you are talking about. It is longer and has a bit more volume (70 gallons). The volume distribution will give great primary stability, and still allow you to throw it down if you have good form. It also is very fast. If you paddle down river more than you play, you would feel more comfortable this thing. I am pretty psyched to use this as a high water boat on the Arkansas. It sounds like the true river running play boat that the Fun once was - but a little bit longer...
Fun Runner 60 and 70- Jackson Kayak
Fun Runner Jackson Kayak – Whitewater, Recreational, Touring and Fishing kayaks

Just an idea to throw out there.
ckspaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #6

Basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by eklars View Post
I would strongly recommend staying away from this entire class of boats. You just can't do anything with them, they suck for playing and suck for running anything over III+. If you've already got your roll and think you'll be good at this sport, just go straight for a playboat. I happen to think the 2010 SuperStar would be the best single choice for a class III minded aggressive beginner. Any of these, you will grow out of in less than 1 season. Just ask OneLeggedWonder or LanceDawg on here.
he's right i got my fuse at the end of july and im already trying to sell it so i can get a full on play boat. they're just to big... especially if you are a on the small end of the weight range.
one legged wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011   #7

Northern Utah, Utah
JIMN - there are three series of Funs out on the market, the original classic (04-06), the current classic (07-09), and the current Funs (10-xx). The SuperFun was not redesigned in 2010. The classic I refer to in my post (along with the reference to the SuperFun) is the 07-09 model, which in my opinion is a huge improvement over the original.

I'm not a fan of the stern design on the 04-06 fun model. I paddled the 04 SuperFun for 3 years and then upgraded to the 07 model. The 07-09 is a much better river runner in my opinion. It also has more volume than the original, a wider seat, better foot room, better outfitting, etc - all of which made a big difference for me in the SuperFun. It's a big boat at 70 gal, but at 250+ lbs naked it's been a fantastic boat for all around river running with all day comfort.

Any of the boats I listed are better than the 04-06 Fun series. For reference, I sold my kids' Fun1.5 this summer in favor of the Fuse35. The Fun was easier to roll, a bit more flexible with the outfitting, but the Fuse35 is a better river runner overall and doesn't have the grabby stern like the Fun1.5.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote