Frame set-up advice - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-29-2012   #1
River Gypsy

Swannanoa, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1986
Frame set-up advice

I am trying to add a seat to my frame, but am running into difficulty fitting everything.

I want to be able to bring the cooler and the drybox, and also to be able to access them without pulling off the seat of the frame bar.

I can fit all of it in there, but it will require moving my oarlocks well forward of the center of the boat. Is this acceptable, or will it make it really hard to row.

I will not have a chance to test it out before I put on Marsh Creek/Middle Fork with this rig in a month's time.

Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012   #2

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I'm not sure it is going to work in that configuration on that small of a frame. You could try putting the cooler and drybox in the front and the seatbar as far back on the frame as you can get it. The oarlocks sat just behind the center line of the raft, but it was comfortable to row and seemed to be balanced. I ran my 12.5 foot that way for a while until I finally ditched the seat and started sitting on the cooler.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #3
River Gypsy

yeah, I've been sitting on the cooler for years - Grand Canyon, Middle Fork, etc. and am really wanting the comfort and stability of sitting on a seat. I might try shifting both boxes forward....

Unless anybody else chimes in with a brilliant solution.

Thanks-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012   #4

West By God, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
Bolt (or weld) your seat to the top of the drybox instead of a bar. Mine is set up this way and it works great.
Paddle Iraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #5
shattusi

steamboat springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
seats r great, its the seat bar that kinda suck unless for day trips. sitting on the dry box or the cooler is a great way to make space. it will put u up a little higher.( but that will allow u to make the rowers compartment shorter.)
i use a seat board... just a piece of plywood with holes to fit the seat( wood is almost as big as the box top). easy to strap down, gives the comfort of the seat and the space of sitting over the cooler or box. nothing wrong with both cooler and box in front either. looks like u have some space the foot bar is not pushed up tight to next bar. i used to have that same dead space. would kinda get used, but... i have gotten slightly longer side rails and obviously i sit over cooler or box. i now rock a 4 bay with the table over a drop bag in front for passengers. if u r sittin over box or cooler and push foot bar up tight, looks like u might be able to put another bay in there for some ammo cans or something without needing any longer side bars. i know a number of cats that run oars way up front, i have also run a rear oar frame with padlers too. that seemed to row pretty similar. i think that the true center for the oar towers is not that huge of a deal. just thinking out loud. hope something was helpful.
shattusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #6

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Get a $100 flip seat from AAA. You will have more room in the back for drybags
Old 04-29-2012   #7

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
I wouldn't want to row from forward on a raft. Looks like you only need to move back maybe 8 inches to fit the box up front. Thats not too bad from my experience.
Old 04-29-2012   #8
River Gypsy

note that the foot bar and the oar locks have not been adjusted yet on the setup in the photo. The foot bar would have to be all the way against the cooler with the seat where it is in the picture, and the oar locks would have to be moved forward at least a foot.

If I put both boxes up front and scoot the oar locks back about a foot, will I still be able to get a lot of power pushing, or will I need to turn around a pull more often? I'm primarily a pusher in this sporty little thing.

Whatever solution I use has to be completed by the end of today - and remember it's already 1:15 in the afternoon here on the east coast....so I'm running out of time.

Thanks for all of the tips and advice, guys!
Old 04-29-2012   #9

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland View Post
If I put both boxes up front and scoot the oar locks back about a foot, will I still be able to get a lot of power pushing, or will I need to turn around a pull more often? I'm primarily a pusher in this sporty little thing.
You should be able to push through rapids just fine. I seem to remember my setup had the oarlocks about 10" back from center.It was also nice having the weight near the front of the boat.

The biggest drawback I had in this position, was the lack of drybag space in the rear compartment. It seems like once I ditched the seat I had a ton more space to pack gear. Longterm I think you should consider mounting the seat on the drybox or picking up a flipseat. Overall it is a better use of space. Then you can save your seat bar for day trips when you aren't lugging around a drybox.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #10

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
If you get rid of your seat/seat bar, your foot bar and replace the foot bar with a combo foot bat/cross bar, and than sit on your cooler/dry box (whichever one is most comfortable for your oar clearance), you will gain enough room for another bay, providing your rails are maxed out. Take a look at the images under my user name, I had the same setup and changed it to what I described. Works great and is more versatile for different trips and rivers. Also, the fulcrum point is slightly off center but does not affect boat controlling at all.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote