Frame Rigging Questions? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-20-2010   #1

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Frame Rigging Questions?

For the last few years my frame set up has been a little jimmy rigged, but I want to do it right this season. I'm wondering if I should buy the cooler mounts for the cooler set up or put the cooler in a drop bag or whatever works best any information will be helpful.

Stiff N' Wett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2010   #2

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Get two sets of loop straps. Use one set to hang the cooler from the frame and use the other set over the top to keep it in place in a flip. Cheap and easy. I run both may boats that way. If you use a drop bag, you can't drain the cooler without lifting it up and the cooler mounts seem like an un-needed expense.
Old 02-20-2010   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I avoid putting a cooler in a drop bag because it's loose and sloppy. I have the cooler mounts because they came with my raft and they're nice but not necessary. Whyman's suggestion is really the best setup.
JHimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2010   #4

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhyman View Post
Get two sets of loop straps. Use one set to hang the cooler from the frame and use the other set over the top to keep it in place in a flip. Cheap and easy. I run both may boats that way. If you use a drop bag, you can't drain the cooler without lifting it up and the cooler mounts seem like an un-needed expense.
Do I need to worry about the cooler shifting from side to side or does it get pretty tight?
Stiff N' Wett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010   #5

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff N' Wett View Post
Do I need to worry about the cooler shifting from side to side or does it get pretty tight?
Unless you have a small cooler, that shouldn't be a problem.

My size of my coolers only leave a couple of inches of space between the tubes, so side shift is not a problem.
Old 02-20-2010   #6

prescott, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1982
used to use the two straps under/ two straps over the cooler for many years. the cooler fit tightly between the tubes so it never shifted from side to side. however, it would pivot front to back on me if you leaned or stepped on the front edge of the cooler (cooler mounted in front of the foot well).
if you were sitting on the cooler to row, it would pivot a lot.

solved the problem by building a board and suspending it from the frame to the four corners of the board and setting the cooler on top of the board. that keeps it from pivoting around.

if i am trying to go super light on a low water run, the board gets left at home, but most of the time i prefer the stability that the board provides. it really nests the cooler securely.

bob
86304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010   #7

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
I was surprised. This was the first year I went with the NRS cooler mounts for my NRS frame. I picked them up for $35 used and they were worth every penny. There is no rock in the cooler and the adjustment works fine for diff kinds of coolers. I guess there is now a version that doesn't have the long bent aluminum which gives you some flexibility on cooler depth. NRS is a bit too proud of this they sell it for like $65 but its basically a set of straps with four bent pieces of aluminum with slits for the strap to lock into ...
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote