Frame longer than wear patches - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-03-2012   #1

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2005
Frame longer than wear patches

I have a NRS Revolution 140 with a 82" Bighorn II frame. The frame length is within the maximum suggested length of 83" however it extends past each end of the wear patch by an inch or two on each end.

I didn't pay much attention this sizing during my first season with this setup since it was the recommended frame length (by retailer) but I have noticed aluminum wear marks on the tubes beyond the wear patches recently. Now I am wondering if I should cut the length of the frame to match the size of the wear patches or if I should simply relax and not worry about it.

Thoughts, opinions? BTW I have been really happy with the boat and setup!

hialtitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012   #2

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
My frame is also a bit bigger than the wear patches, so far no problems.

If it was my boat I would just keep an eye on it and see if it shows any wear. It would be a lot easier to add another piece of patch material instead of the effort of cutting the frame. Especially if you like the size of the set up now.

I think the primary job of the wear patches on the top of the tubes is to hide the ugly black marks the aluminum frame makes.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012   #3

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Go rafting.

Are you just noticing marks, or are you noticing scratches/scuffs? Marks will just be marks in 20 years. Scuffs/scratches will eventually wear through.....in 20 years.

Go rafting.

If you like the length and the bay spacing, keep it.
If you want one or 2 bays a few inches shorter, cut it.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012   #4

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by hialtitude
I have a NRS Revolution 140 with a 82" Bighorn II frame. The frame length is within the maximum suggested length of 83" however it extends past each end of the wear patch by an inch or two on each end.

I didn't pay much attention this sizing during my first season with this setup since it was the recommended frame length (by retailer) but I have noticed aluminum wear marks on the tubes beyond the wear patches recently. Now I am wondering if I should cut the length of the frame to match the size of the wear patches or if I should simply relax and not worry about it.

Thoughts, opinions? BTW I have been really happy with the boat and setup!
I'm going to try and compress a short length of pvc fabric between the pipe and the ubolts. I've already cleaned up the frame ends with a diamond file but its still wearing a bit into my chafe straps
Old 07-03-2012   #5

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
the only bit of caution would be if your frame is contacting where the tubes are starting to curve up to the bow/stern. that will be a hotspot. and it won't take very long at all.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012   #6

portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by upshitscreek View Post
the only bit of caution would be if your frame is contacting where the tubes are starting to curve up to the bow/stern. that will be a hotspot. and it won't take very long at all.
yeah even when they quote frame dims its not usually perfectly "flat" so there tends to be some rubbing here especially if you boat is shaped like anything other than a bathtub ...

sounds like you have NRS all around --- if so I'd wait until it wears through and ask them for a new boat since their either their frame specs or their boat is defective.
Old 07-03-2012   #7

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
sounds like you have NRS all around --- if so I'd wait until it wears through and ask them for a new boat since their either their frame specs or their boat is defective.

Wow just wow. what a thought process. That works on numberous levels. Create more jobs in China by damaging a product made in china that will be replaced by even more overseas labor and drive boat prices up to compensate for the lost revenue due to the total misuse of a NRS product that is backed by honest people who boat on the same rivers we do. I am mystified.....
Old 07-03-2012   #8
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
Wow just wow. what a thought process. That works on numberous levels. Create more jobs in China by damaging a product made in china that will be replaced by even more overseas labor and drive boat prices up to compensate for the lost revenue due to the total misuse of a NRS product that is backed by honest people who boat on the same rivers we do. I am mystified.....
A numb level? Numerous level? Numerous numb levels I guess works too.

Sarcasm meter=broken.

And even if not I tend to agree with Avatarded. Match your chafe strip to the max frame size. Where is the misuse? NRS frame in stated spec for raft and size. I struck dumberous.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012   #9

Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
A numb level? Numerous level? Numerous numb levels I guess works too.

Sarcasm meter=broken.

And even if not I tend to agree with Avatarded. Match your chafe strip to the max frame size. Where is the misuse? NRS frame in stated spec for raft and size. I struck dumberous.
Well what dooy spect fromm one dem them kyackys peoplls.
jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012   #10

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Glue some foam on the frame at the contact points.
openboat is offline   Reply With Quote