Foot peg options for Tomcat IK - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-14-2014   #1

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Foot peg options for Tomcat IK

Just pulled the trigger on a new Tomcat solo IK.

For outfitting, I was considering the Aire foot pegs but didn't like the idea of having to punch a hole in the PVC shell to install them.

I was going to replace the inflatable thwart chair with a cheetah chair and wondered if anyone has ever used the thwart chair as a foot brace? Think this would work?

Cheers
LR

Advertisement

Old 03-14-2014   #2

Ridgway, Colorado
I would use the thwart or a packed drybag strapped in up there....
jwolters4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014   #3

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Depending on the water that you are paddling the thwart seat can work as a foot brace, but in bigger water it catches a TON of water and can really impede your ability to punch a hole - which is already a challenge given the relatively blunt shape of the tomcat's bow. (significantly less taper than the strike or lynx)

To tried and true foam block is a better choice for that type of water.

My solution is to store a watershed bag in the bow. If you have some light gear in it is can really help the bow shed water and if you go deep it acts as additional floatation. It basically helps simulate the bow of an Aire Force (or a hard shell kayak for that matter).
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2014   #4

Longmont, Colorado
thanks for the responses...

I've also heard of folks making a brace from PVC pipe and fittings...any experience with this approach?

thanks again
LR

Also, I am planning on starting out on class II-III water...
Old 03-14-2014   #5

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
I use a short segment of rope cut to length, a piece of pvc irrigation pipe just shorter than the inside width of the boat, and piece of foam pipe insulation (a pool floaty works great) over the pvc. Run the rope through the pvc, run either end of the rope through the floor loops in the right location for your feet, then tie the two ends together tightly. A cam strap would work for this too. You now have a backwoods foot brace. You have to experiment to get the rope in the right spot, but once you get it set up right you can just leave it in there and roll it up with the boat. Super simple and cheap to try it out. As long as you really crank it down tight the chance of a foot entrapment is no worse than anything else you might place in there other than the pegs themselves.
Old 03-14-2014   #6

Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
A wedge of foam about the height of the IK side tubes works best I think. The inflated side tubes hold it in place.It adds not much wt to the boat and will float if it falls out.
JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014   #7

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Not that you shouldn't try other methods, but punching a hole in the PVC should be no big deal -- I did it on my Lynx -- simple and no ill effects.
(I trust Aire to know their stuff and give good advice,)
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014   #8

Longmont, Colorado
Quote:
Not that you shouldn't try other methods, but punching a hole in the PVC should be no big deal -- I did it on my Lynx -- simple and no ill effects.
I guess my next question should be how much adjustment you get out of those foot pegs...

I think another reason I am shying away from these is that I am 6'6" tall and have freakishly long legs...my girlfriend is only 5'3" however

thinking that depending on who is in the boat, we might run out of adjustment...this frustrates people who try to row my rafts in general...
Old 03-14-2014   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Get the pegs ....what johnnovice said!.....the pegs are VERY adjustable ...the other options mentioned much less so.....the only drawback is the boat does not roll up as compact for travel or storage, but you can take them.off for airplanes.....foam blocks and dry bags work but are squishier ...foam blocks are bulky but do displace water like the Force 's foot brace...the pegs allow you to put more pressure on just one side which is beneficial tor speed and carving...I was reluctant to put holes in the boat for pegs too, but it does not hurt the boat...
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014   #10

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongmontRafter View Post
I guess my next question should be how much adjustment you get out of those foot pegs...
Mine are not handy right now (winter storage), but I'd say at least a foot and a half.
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote