Foot Bar - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-17-2009   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Foot Bar

Coming from a paddle boaters view point of being able to lock in your feet, i feel like it would be easy to get washed off your raft by a big wave when rowing, esp. a smaller boat in bigger water. With frames that simply have a bar to put your feet on there is no way of "locking in" like in a paddle boat. I know some frames have something like a toe bar that looks like a good idea. Just wondering how i could make something like that for the NRS foot bar. I know they sell something like what im looking for, but i dont really want to spend $120 plus then another cross bar.

So is this really something to be concerned with? If so, any ideas on how to make something that would work? Possibly 2 lopros and some little pieces of bent aluminum that could attach to the foor bar???

youngpaddler06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2009   #2

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ies-23889.html

Check this out, Chip put it together for me, Lowpro's attaching to the crossbar and speedrails for the rest. I've since replaced the Cross-bar T's with off-set T's so it brings the crossbar out closer to me. The speedrail fittings save $, and I like the Lowpro's where there's a lot of spin/torque on the fitting. It's bomber, made skinny enough to fit two rocket boxes on teh sides of the cockpit on multi-day trips. But, I've found that I usually end up rowing with one foot up on the top bar, and one foot locked in, as I sit on the cooler and end up pretty high relative to where the toe-lock in spot is. I could use the cross bar to lock in, but the dimensions don't work out to do it both ways, and I've just gotten used to it.
Old 12-17-2009   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
I was also thinking of something like that. I have foor bar like yours that i could use, without the top cross piece. But i am concerned with how wide it is. Its only about 2' or so (I can remember exactly right now). Do you find yourself wishing for a wider foot bar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2009   #4

at my house, Montana
Nope, I've actually been glad it wasn't in the way during some combat rowing situations. The only exception is now that I row a cat with a wide stance, I consider how I might replicate that. Since the raft now serves a different purpose (hauling gear and maximizing dog space), I'm not going to go there. I had it down the Lochsa a bunch this spring before I got my cat, so the setup works for me in any conditions I'll run it in. Like I said, the biggest problem is the vertical config, and I might continue to work on that.
Old 12-17-2009   #5

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Something to consider, when adding this sort of footlock setup to a frame, is the possibility of your feet punching through when you hit a rock or hole, and getting jammed in a flip.

If there's a drybox or cooler to stop your feet, that might help. Or a mesh footpocket. Maybe this is just off-season paranoia.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009   #6

Fort Collins, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Something to consider, when adding this sort of footlock setup to a frame, is the possibility of your feet punching through when you hit a rock or hole, and getting jammed in a flip.

If there's a drybox or cooler to stop your feet, that might help. Or a mesh footpocket. Maybe this is just off-season paranoia.
I feel like thats a justified concern. Thats why i think having bars that have a gap in the middle, rather then one bar going all the way across, would help to ease those concerns a bit.
Old 12-18-2009   #7

at my house, Montana
Yeah, it's a risk, but I've got them close enough together I've not been able to find a way to slip my foot through, although the more likely potential is it just getting stuck-in-place. I've found it's not that positive of a lock, and if anyone reads the Buzz a lot, probably knows I'm a bit of a SAFETY FREAK at times. I've found this is one place where the theory of what could happen just doesn't seem probable based on playing around with it. I think I do tend to lock into it less than one would think, because it is so low. Maybe if the geometry was better (not so low compared to me sitting on the cooler) and I locked in more, it would be more of a real risk. On the other hand, it's nothing compared to foot braces used by catboaters, and those, while in theory dangerous, rarely cause much injury, but have been known to cause some. Bottom line, I'd rather be locked into my rowing position very well for safety. The better locked in and braced you are, the less chance of getting thrown forward causing injury
Old 12-19-2009   #8

ww guide/ frame builder/welder, mobile fabrication gig
Paddling Since: 1988
10-4 IMO , I would much rather be "locked In" than swim. safer in the boat. I run steep stuff with a 12' hyside cat, (really squirrly, but can catch micro eddies) and larger boats with more (stuff) more open. dedicate a "captains bay" area. I set on a cooler, and balance my beer on the drybox in front. Long trips=for sure a floor board.

As much as i would like to think, that I rock, more often than not, its luck.
Old 12-19-2009   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Re foot bar width. I built a frame this spring that like Laura's allows stuff (rocket boxes, water jugs etc) to be rigged next to the foot bar on each side. My first several trips were day trips with out any gear, and my old frame had a foot bar that went all the way across. While rowing a good class V rapid I went for a back stroke while looking over my shoulder. My foot completely missed the foot bar and I pulled myself straight to the floor of my boat. Let's call this a learning experience.

Later that trip I rowed a cat with a Madcatr frame. That foot bar was super positive and kept my feet in place (pic below). Of course the complete lack of any type of floor also helps keep your feet on the foot bar. I share the concern about having a foot going through the frame and getting stuck. You can't see in in this shot but the upper part beam in the foot bar (wrapped in yellow tape) curves towards the rower a few inches. It felt great on the river. What Laura is describing with the offset crosses makes a lot of sense to me. I will probably copy it, can't say if I will leave a gap in the middle or not. I know I can adjust it so me feet (size 13) won't slip through, but I have a fear of someone else rowing my boat with smaller feet and having a potential entrapment issue.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009   #10
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Ben, you're fine with just the footbar that came with your frame. A few swims will be good for you.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote